Heart Rhythm Community
Cold slushy drink and Heart Arrhythmia
About This Community:

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cold slushy drink and Heart Arrhythmia

All my life I have occasionally gotten my own version of an ice cream headache – only mine occurs in my chest (I have never had the headache version).  Two days ago, around 5pm while drinking a frozen slushy drink, I had two of the chest version which were very uncomfortable and after the second I noticed that there was a “fluttering” feeling in my chest.  

At first I thought this was my digestive tract reacting to the slushy but the symptoms didn’t go away and by bedtime I was getting a little concerned.  I own a stethoscope and I used this to listen to my heart and it didn’t sound at all normal.  I was hearing several fast beats followed by a couple slower ones and this pattern repeated over and over.  I then listened to my wife’s and my brother’s heartbeat and it was clear that mine was very different.  Then they listened to my heartbeat and afterward insisted I get looked at RIGHT NOW!  

The ER listened to my heartbeat and then did an EKG which indicated a problem.  At this point they said I would be spending the night under close observation – they then proceeded to connect me to a saline IV, a heart monitor an oxygen.  As they were preparing my room my heartbeat returned to normal (they said I “converted” which initially confused me).  By their reaction this was not expected and when they consulted with the staff cardiologist they decided to let me go home.

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any insights into this condition.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
363281_tn?1353103243
I do know that cold causes blood vessels to constrict, and this may have been what happened in your case. Cold makes my PAC's act up, and can cause some muscle pain tool Keep close tabs on it and if it acts up again see your doc and have a cardiac work up.
Blank
I only get PVC's after I eat or have an upset stomach. When I told my cardiologist about this, he told me about a guy that told him he got PVC's every time he drank a cold glass of water. The Doc left the room and went and got a glass of cold water, returned and said "drink this". The guy gulped it down and sure enough, had several PVC's as the Dr. listened. So it happens. If they are indeed PVC's, they are usually harmless. I would have the ER forward your EKG to your primary care physician, who will in turn refer you to a cardio if needed. The fact they let you go home makes me think it isn't serious.
Blank
I am new to this and do not understand the following terms:
1.  PAC
2.  PVC

Can you please explain these terms?

Thank you
Blank
Also, I just noted that I neglected to mention that the result of my EKG showed an Atrial Arrhythmia
Blank
PAC - Premature Atrial Contractions (top two chambers)
PVC - Premature Ventricular Contractions (bottom two chambers)

I've experienced increased arrhythmia (PVC's in my case) when I eat icecream or drink somthing cold.

Bon-Bon
Blank
I was recently drinking a frozen drink too quickly and it resulted in the chest version of a "brain freeze".  I immediately began getting a fluttering sensation in my chest.  It turned out to be atrial flutter that I am having treated now.  I have been in perfect health all my life but made my first trip to a cardiologist.  I thought it was crazy to associate the flutter with the frozen drink but my cardiologist told me that she has had several patients with a similar experience.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
995271_tn?1408549100
Blank
itdood
PA
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
1807132_tn?1318747197
Blank
michellepetkus
Chicago, IL
1423357_tn?1414258965
Blank
tom_h
Central, MA
1124887_tn?1313758491
Blank
is_something_wrong
Oslo, Norway
1569985_tn?1328251082
Blank
DeltaDawn23
Ann Arbor, MI
Recent Activity
Blank
Paxiled commented on Foods You’re Throwing...
15 hrs ago
Blank
Paxiled commented on Burn Belly Fat with T...
16 hrs ago
Blank
Nffcamy added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
Jun 29
Heart Rhythm Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank