Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Constant PVC's
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Constant PVC's

I am a 50 year old female and have been experiencing regular, reoccuring PVC's (at least 4 - 5 PVC's/min) for almost a year now that seem to worsen at night and can awaken me when I am sleeping. I had extensive lab work completed (TSH, eletrolytes, CBC, LDL, Cholesterol) and all within normal limits. I have asthma so beta blockers are not an option. I work out regularly and am in relatively good physical condition (BMI = 24.7).

Any suggestions on what options I can pursue for relief?
Related Discussions
230125_tn?1193369457
There aren't a lot of options.  If beta blockers are not a option, a calcium channel blocker is the next option.  The goal is to decrease the sensation of  the PVCs and there is a slight chance it could reduce the number.

The goal is not to do any additional treatment.  The reason is that for a structural normal heart, there is more risk associated with the next treatment options.  If your impaired quality of life is great than the risk, then the next options could be considered.  This is a subjection decisions based on your perceived impairment in quality of life and the guidance of your doctor regarding the absolute risks in your case.

The next options are:
medications -- flecainide, propafenone, sotalolol, dofetilide (more success with prior two)
ablation if the PVCs are all from the same locations.

It is best to discuss these options with an electrophsyiologist.

I hope this helps.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
4610897_tn?1393869202
Joseph Sclafani, M.D.Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity