Heart Rhythm Community
Constant dizziness and abnormal EKG

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Constant dizziness and abnormal EKG

I am a 25 year old male. I don't smoke and I drink only moderately (1-2 drinks a week). I went to my doctors because I was having dizziness, anxiety, and pressure in my chest. Several ekgs were done, all abnormal. I followed up with a cardiologist who had a nuclear stress test and echo done. Both came back normal. Although I was still curious about the abnormal ekg results, he assured me that they were all very non-specific. My question is, could my abnormal heart rhythm be causing my constant dizziness/lightheadedness (not vertigo, just feel kind of spaced out all the time), or would dizziness resulting from an abnormal heart rhythm be more sporadic (as opposed to constant).

P.S. The only explanation my doctors have been able to give me is anxiety. However, my anxiety subsided as I became more accepting of my symptoms, but I can't seem to shake the dizziness. I just feel that if my anxiety was the cause of my dizziness, it would have subsided as I overcame it. I am now wondering if the dizziness has some other organic cause and lead to the anxiety as opposed to the other way around. Any feedback is much appreciated!
Do you suffer from dizziness all the time, or just when you change you physical activity level, such as when you stand up (quickly) from a full resting position?  If only when you increase you physical activity level I think that could be due to a low blood pressure condition (unusual, but possible) and/or a low HR, resting blow 40 bpm, for example.

If you can't find any heart problems, including chronic low BP and HR, then I'd guess anxiety myself.
EKGs are wide open to analysis.  The machine's interpretation are just red flags for possible areas of further analysis by a doctor.  Which they did, and they were able to see it did not warrant further study.  This happens all the time.  The EKG macnine's false - positive and false-negative all the time.  I'd rather it false-positive (error on the side of caution).  Nuke and echos are MUCH better than an EKG.

If you move just a little but during an EKG, it can look like afib, aflutter, all sorts of stuff.  So no worries on the EKG.

Dizziness was always one of my main components for my GAD, when I had it.  In fact, my anxiety attacks always started with what I thought was me getting dizzy.

I don't know what those dizzy spells were but I've met enough people over the years to know that it wasn't true vertigo.  

Something I found that precipitated these "dizzy spells" was about 4 hours after I drank caffeine.  I didn't figure this out until I quit all caffeine for a while, then had a cup of coffee one day.  I walked into a home depot about 4 hours later and after being completely free of this dizzy, I felt it in the big building.  I couldn't even look up.  No more caffeine and I haven't had it happen since.
I agree w. Jerry on alot of this.  Dizziness is not fun and i get it sometimes too and make sure that when it happens i put my head down between my knees when i sit to increase the blood flow into the brain and it works the majority of the time.  For myself i have basically accepted the fact that its caused for myself from low blood pressure because that is generally the problem for me.  It doesn't happen all of the time and i've never fainted because of it but usually i just eat something that will raise my B/P and then its gone.  You've done all of the right things and yeah anxiety is a bear and could def. cause it.