Cost of ablation procedure
I recently had a PVI isolation catheter ablation done for paroxysmal a fib and am a bit surprised on the cost of the procedure. I have been billed about 25K now, which includes the trans-esophageal eco and CT scan. Luckily, my insurance has covered the majority of costs. I am sure all procedures are different, but I was curious as to the average cost of an ablation. I am sure if it ends up successful it will be cost effective in the long run.
That sounds about right. I've had 3 but fortunate enough to have good medical coverage.
25k for an a-fib ablation? Does that include the hospital stay? If so, that is really cheap. I had an ablation in January 08 at Univ of Penn for a-fib and a-flutter, was in hsopital Tuesday to Friday, had the TEE and CT scan and the bill was 149,000.00. That did not include the bill for the EP who did the procedure. Thankfully, my insurance paid 100%.
I Just looked at my bill for this procedure done at a west coast medical university. Including the physician fee and a 23-hr stay in the hospital recovery area it was $91,322.61.
The 25K included one night in the hospital. The hospital and Dr.s were providers, so the actual amount the insurance payed out was only about 12K. I have not had to pay anything yet but, but I am not sure if all of the bills are in.
Wow, what a range of cost. As for insurance most (all?) have a deductible, I think mine is something like $1K with a maximum out-of-pocket of something like $5K if all is done "in-network".  

The $149K sounds like more than my open heart surgery (MVR) with 5 days in the ICU cost.  I have seen only small bills from many specialists and labs tests.  Nothing I'd complain about, my coverage medicare plus a UHC did their duty.