Heart Rhythm Community
Could Atrial Flutters Be Caused By Ranexa

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

I am 50 year old female with history of 2 MI's from coronary artery spasms.  Now have 3 stents in RCA from 3 separate episodes. I have recently been prescribed Ranexa @ 500 mg twice per day (along with diltiazem). I also take a host of other meds like protonix, plavix, aspirin, lipitor, imdur, carafate, nitro, iron, vitamin d, omega 3, etc.  I have been taking the ranexa for about 3 months to stop the spasms and angina and have felt great!  Now I am experiencing heart flutters and slamming heart beat frequently throughout the day and night for the last couple of weeks. The flutters don't coincide with exercise or exertion or stress but I do sometimes have chest pain with them.  The chest pain lasts longer than the flutters.  A friend told me that the flutters could result in a stroke.  Do I need to be concerned about this?  Could this be a side effect of the ranexa?  Would taking the sublingual nitro stop the fluttering or do I need to stop the ranexa?  Please advise.  Thx so much!  
Hi read your post.....your friend is wrong....the flutters are not likely to cause a stroke unless there is some other underlying issues....what that friend is talking about probably is an increased heart rate  that could potentially throw a clot but it only happens to like 3% of patients.You should stop NO meds without talking to your heart doc first....ever.....
and nitro is definately NOT  a good idea to take for the fluttering that you are speaking of..it is never a good idea to mix around your meds...call the doc....let him/her tell you what the best course of treatment is these are all questions for your doctor or at the very least a pharmacist.  Number one rule....never listen to your friends unless they have an M.D at the end of their name Number two rule.....never stop or change your meds w/out speaking to your doctor Number Three Rule:  Refer to one and two...good luck i hope things work out for you and don't worry about the stroke thing...you're on some pretty good meds to ward off that possiblity.....