Aa
A
A
Close
Could Atrial Flutters Be Caused By Ranexa
I am 50 year old female with history of 2 MI's from coronary artery spasms.  Now have 3 stents in RCA from 3 separate episodes. I have recently been prescribed Ranexa @ 500 mg twice per day (along with diltiazem). I also take a host of other meds like protonix, plavix, aspirin, lipitor, imdur, carafate, nitro, iron, vitamin d, omega 3, etc.  I have been taking the ranexa for about 3 months to stop the spasms and angina and have felt great!  Now I am experiencing heart flutters and slamming heart beat frequently throughout the day and night for the last couple of weeks. The flutters don't coincide with exercise or exertion or stress but I do sometimes have chest pain with them.  The chest pain lasts longer than the flutters.  A friend told me that the flutters could result in a stroke.  Do I need to be concerned about this?  Could this be a side effect of the ranexa?  Would taking the sublingual nitro stop the fluttering or do I need to stop the ranexa?  Please advise.  Thx so much!  
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1137980 tn?1281289046
Hi read your post.....your friend is wrong....the flutters are not likely to cause a stroke unless there is some other underlying issues....what that friend is talking about probably is an increased heart rate  that could potentially throw a clot but it only happens to like 3% of patients.You should stop NO meds without talking to your heart doc first....ever.....
and nitro is definately NOT  a good idea to take for the fluttering that you are speaking of..it is never a good idea to mix around your meds...call the doc....let him/her tell you what the best course of treatment is these are all questions for your doctor or at the very least a pharmacist.  Number one rule....never listen to your friends unless they have an M.D at the end of their name Number two rule.....never stop or change your meds w/out speaking to your doctor Number Three Rule:  Refer to one and two...good luck i hope things work out for you and don't worry about the stroke thing...you're on some pretty good meds to ward off that possiblity.....
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
Recent Activity
874521 tn?1424120397
Blank
opus88 commented on photo
Sep 23
506791 tn?1439846583