Criteria for PVCs
What is the criteria, and perhaps where can I find the citation published, that defines numerically how many PVCs per ? time period qualifies them as occasional, frequent, etc.
Thanks.
John
Hello...

The Lown grading system for PVC's states the following:

30 PVC's per/hr is considered frequent

Hope this answers your question. If you are interested in reading the chart just "Google" Lown grading system.
Is this saying that the more frequent your PVCs are the more likely you are to die from some type of cardiac episode?
Hello...

This grading system is only to determine frequency of PVC's, not mortality rate from them:)
I still think it depends on the structural health of the heart. I had a period of 5 months where I was having 15-25 PVC's a minute for hours on end. Nothing came of it and they faded away. My norm is 1-5 PVC's or PAC's a minute and it's not a problem other than the ka-thumps I feel.

Most of the lieterature on the Lown scale refers to outcomes based on the PVC frequencies.  Specifically, for both a 12 Lead and holter monitoring, I wanted to know the published criteria for using the terms, frequent, occasional, isoltaed, etc.

For examples, if there are 3 PVCs on a 12 lead, would you say frequent, occasional??  If you averaged 28 PVCs an hour on a holter scan what would that be called?  

Somewhere there should be a chart posted for EKG and holter, I just can't find it.  :)

Thanks.
John
28 PVCS an hour falls just short of what the lown grade considers frequent,  If you had 3 show up on a 12 lead well iy is not graded that way , the only signifigance is if they were back to back . Sound like 3 on 12 lead probably if continued in that same pattern would be equivilent of 28 in one hour . I have thousands daily and over 500 in one hour and very symptomatic . It is distressing to say the least,so I can relate,