Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Dizzy, lightheaded and swollen ankles

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Dizzy, lightheaded and swollen ankles

Hi I have dual pm, since June 07,  for 2nd Degree AV Node block stage II and right bundle branch block. I dont actually faint anymore but for the past 3 weeks everyday have been dizzy lightheaded for hours on end with a horrid headache, my lower legs, ankles and feet have been swollen you could push your finger in my feet and move the fluid around. I saw my GP and she said I should see Cardiologist but I have not heard but am feeling a bit better again no swelling just suddenly feel a bit heady and then a little dizzy nothing like it was but I have been having this on and off since I had pm. I did write you before and followed your advice and you were right I have infection in vein but that cleared up I have intravenous antibiotics. I am concerned as i have just got my driving licence back and gone back to work and can't take time off I did have to the other day as they sent me home as I was looking so ill.  I am not on any medication do you think I will be alright I have never been one for the Docs before I did not see my GP for 5 years I am not hypochondriach I dont think.  Have you any opinion as to if I can help myself.
You should see a doctor about this one.  Leg swelling is never normal, but not always a big a concern.  It is difficult to know what the cause is.  I would probably start by interrogating your pacemaker and if you have not had an echocardiogram since your pacemaker, would check another echocardiogram.  Sometimes symptoms like this can be related to the pacemaker and reprogramming the device can fix it.  There are other situations where people can develop heart failure from the pacemaker and reprogramming, medications, and sometimes a device upgrade can help.  If you have swelling in your legs (a very real symptom/sign) that disqualifies you from the hypochondriac category.

Even if you have to take a day or 1/2 day off work, you should see your doctor about this one, preferably your cardiologist.

I hope this helps.  good luck and thanks for posting.