Heart Rhythm Community
Does Afib ever go away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Does Afib ever go away?

I would like to get off the Norpace Cr that I am currently taking for Afib.  I don't feel really good on it, but am staying out of Afib.  I have some pac's, pvcs and tachycardia, but the afib is not happening for now.  My second opinion EP says swtich to Rhythmol, try to wait 3 years for an ablation if possible because the process is evolving and improving.  My regular EP says go off the Norpace, I can be electrocardioverted if I go back into Afib without having to go thru the ER process where they ALWAYS give me too much of the IV drugs and my BP bottoms out, creating a real emergency.  I am mulling it over, waiting until after holidays since I spent them in the hospital last year and DO NOT want to repeat that.  Any comments or ideas are welcome.  Thanks.  Hope you all enjoy the holidays and stay well.
I have heard that afib can come and go but I don't know that it would ever go away.  Some cells have gone rouge and I don't think they ever heal.   But I could be wrong.  From what I understand pvcs are in the same boat.  Kind of annoying.  Well hopefully they keep progressing in the area of afib and get around to figuring out how to fix the pvcs as well.  Take care and hope your holidays are great as well.  
Yes, if you find the underlying problem and correct it. One cause is magnesium deficiency.

"Magnesium and arrhythmia

By Dr. William Davis

Because magnesium is removed during municipal water treatment and is absent from most bottled water, deficiency of this crucial mineral is a growing problem.

Magnesium deficiency can manifest itself in a wide variety of ways, from muscle cramps (usually calves, toes, and fingers), erratic blood sugars, higher blood pressure, to heart rhythm problems. The abnormal heart rhythms that can arise due to magnesium deficiency include premature atrial contractions, premature ventricular contractions, multifocal atrial tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, and even ventricular tachycardia, fibrillation, and Torsade de Pointes (all potentially fatal). Magnesium is important!

Magnesium supplementation is therefore necessary for just about everybody to maintain normal tissue levels. (The exception is people with kidney disorders, who should not take magnesium without supervision, since they retain magnesium.)

Here is a Heart Scan Blog reader's dramatic rhythm-correcting response to magnesium supplementation:

Dr. Davis,

A few months ago, I contacted you inquiring if you had written any articles on arrhythmia. You were generous enough to answer and guide me to an LEF article you'd written in which you stressed fish oil and magnesium. I had been suffering with bad PVCs [premature ventricular contractions] for over 20 years, and they had gotten so bad recently that I was told my next options were ablation or pacemaker!

I was already on fish oil and had not seen any difference, and so I researched the magnesium you suggested more thoroughly and found a huge body of studies supportng its effect on arrhythmia. I also read many posts on heart forums with people having success with it. After getting advice from various bloggers, I tried magnesium taurate in the morning and Natural Calm (an ionized form of mag citrate) in the afternoon and evening. Within three days the PVCs were quite diminished and by 2 weeks totally gone! As long as I keep taking it, they never return---not even one irregular blip---even when I drink strong coffee! The magnesium also cleared up my restless leg syndrome, my eye twitching, and insomnia. (Apparently, I was the poster-girl for magnesium deficiency.)

I am so angry that after all these years of suffering, trying various medications, and seeing at least 4 different cardiologists that NOT ONE ever even mentioned trying magnesium. The generosity of the few minutes you took to answer my email and steer me in a helpful direction brought me total relief.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Warmly,
Catherine C."
I have not tried norpace but currently on the lowest dose of sotalol that will keep me out of a-fib(80mg 2x). Anything lower and I will have to make another trip to the ER for an electrocardioversion(they know me by name and the visits are short because we know what it takes to convert).  I have tried 4 meds including Rhythmol, none of which convert me. Have been electrocardioverted 10 times and had two ablations and started sotalol after the first ablation. It does keep me in rhythm until I wean off to see if the ablations worked. I will now stay on the sotalol until it fails at which time I will be electrocardioverted and will them most likely schedule a third ablation.  Good luck.

Here is a good site: http://www.stopafib.org/what.cfm
Steve