Heart Rhythm Community
Does fish oil help arrhythmia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Does fish oil help arrhythmia?

I have lots of tachycardia and have had afib, which I currently have a ICD with 2 leads to control the afib. Does anyone take fish oil, what dose, for their arrhythmias, and does it help? Thanks so much-Debi
I take a fish oil capsul as part of my vitamin regimen. I also had afib. I don't think the fish oil made any difference whatsoever for my afib.
I've taken fish oil but it didn't make any difference with my arrhythmias. I thought the fish oils were more for lowering cholesterol. I don't know; I don't keep up on all these different pills. TV ads drive me bonkers. But I'm sure there's a pill for that too.   LOL
i've read that fish oil cuts your risk in half for sudden death of heart attack, is that false?
I imagine there are many other factors involved as well. I doubt a person can abuse their body with poor food, obesity, smoking and sedentary lifestyle, take fish oil and be safe. I'm not saying you're doing that but I think fish oil/omega 3's are just a tiny part of overall heart healthy lifestyle.
I agree with what you are saying but what if you are very healthy.  Im having these PVC's all the time but the rest of my body is perfect.  Blood work, kidneys, liver etc.  Could these oils help if you are already healthy?
Sorry, I don't really know the answer. I'd have to read up on it and I'm sure there are plenty of conflicting reports. Medicine is never that clear cut. I wonder if there have been studies done yet on fish oil and reduction of sudden death and heart attacks? That was your original question.

Are you thinking fish oil might help your PVC's as well? Some folks think it's great stuff. I tried it and didn't see any difference in the frequency or duration of my arrhythmias. I don't think it would hurt you to try it.
I asked my EP doctor about this.  He laughed said it was like calling the neighbors to borrow oil when the electricity in your house goes out.  :-)  He was of course referring to my SVT which was an "electrical" issue not a "plumbing" issue."  So it probably can't hurt but it may not do much for your arrhythmia.
See docs confuse me.  They say that Im not getting enough Potassium and that makes my PVC's worse because Potassium is important for the heart.  Just like Magnesium and the other couple of things that they told me help the electrical currents of the heart.  Even though Fish Oil is an oil I guess.  What if there is something in that oil that effects the electrical currents of the heart?

I dont know Im just thinking out loud here.
Potassium is different than fish oil.  Potassium (and sodium) are involved at the cellular level with nerves and muscle contraction (back from my days in biochemistry).  So I could see how they matter for electrical conduction of your heart and PVC's.  I belive that fish oils have to do with fatty acids and cholesterol reduction.   I'm not an expert here...
If your doctor is suggesting you could use more potassium, you can try eating bananas, cantaloupes, and other foods higher in potassium.  Potassium and magnesium are electrolytes.  Optimal levels are a good idea since unbalance can create arrythmias and/or cause other medical problems, some significant.  If you've had blood work, your doctor would know if you need more/less potassium.

As the others have said, fish oil has more to do with fatty acids, plaque buildup, cholesterol, etc. The general consensus seems to be that many people can benefit form them.  Regardless, it is always best to check with your own physician before starting any new medication regimes.
Well rr then you are right.  I dont have a problem with clogged arteries so the oils will not help me any other than to keep the arteries the way that they are.  
I find that anything with omeg 3 makes my nsvt worse. I read some reports that say it will help but now there are some crontradicting reports as well. Some say that omeg3 could in fact make some arrythmias worse and even life threating.  
The question of fish oils or long chain polyunsaturated fats is a really complicated one. It has a lot to do with your medical background and your current situation. If you have an ICD you should be careful and contact your doctor before even attempting to use fish oil supplements. There have been many studies done regarding fish oil and the potential for anti and proarrhythmic properties and the conclusions vary widely. It is a complex study because of the many variables, but it has been shown that patients with a previous MI were somewhat protected from sudden cardiac arrest while in one study, patients with ICDs could potentially see a proarrhythmic condition. The largest study on Fish Oils was a JAMA study concluded, "In this large randomized trial we did not find evidence of strong protective effect of intake of omega-3 PUFAs from fish oil against ventricular arrhythmia in patients with ICDs. In contrast to others, we did not find that fish oil may have proarrhythmic properties." If you are interested in reading more, google the JAMA and the SOFA study. Your best bet, after all this, is to contact your doctor and discuss it with him or her before you try it.
Everyone seems oblivious to the best source of potassium/magnesium in perfect ratio - Blackstrap molasses. I was having to take potassium in pill form because of a diuretic and did a lot of research. Here is the link to the info
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=118
People with higher iron levels (such as me) need to avoid blackstrap molasses because it's quite high in iron.  For everyone else, it's probably a good thing.  I have to stay away from molasses.