Heart Rhythm Community
Does heart block show up on EKGS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Does heart block show up on EKGS?

Wow I know I have been posting a lot on here these days and I promise I am not crazy. I have been dealing with episodes of near fainting. For those who dont know I am a 28 year old female. I keep looking up my problems on line and I probably should not be doing this because it leaves me with a lot of questions like the one in the title. I have been to my cardio and just had a visit on Thursday with and EP doctor who conducted a EP study on me in 2006. He has ordered for me a 14 day cardio net event monitor that records and transmits on its own and a tilt table test also. The monitor is supposed to come by UPS and the other test is suppose to be scheduled by the hospital and they will call me with the date and time. In the mean time I am still uneasy about my condition since I have no answer yet that I keep searching.

This heart block came up when I put in some of my symptoms. Increase in PVCS and PACS since May and the near fainting, once when I went to the ER while having a milder spell my pulse was 30 according to the pulse ox but they said that it was probably wrong, however I went to the ER 2 times in one day, that time it read 30 and when I came back later it read 43 and 46 before it goes up to normal. The time it was 30 it hovered there for about 30 seconds and went up to 76. I noticed there were times when I took my blood pressure from home on a fairly new monitor and one time it told me my pulse was 36 and there was a few times it said 40 something. I thought the machine was crazy so never really paid attention to it. Every time someone takes my pulse it seems to be normal. Anyway while looking up these things heart block came up. Would that have showed up on an EKG or is it something that comes and goes??? Its funny because my heart rate has always been on the high side but in the last 6 months I have noticed it to be on the lower end, I mean sometimes it speeds up for no none reason but other then that its in the 60s and 70s.

I am wondering if the pain medication (narcotic) that I have been taking since middle of 2009 is making this stuff happen because I noticed since on it my blood pressure has lowered and so has my heart rate.

What do you think? Any ideas about the heart block? Sorry I have asked so many question I feel like a hypochondriac but I am just someone who is having a health issue with no answers:( Thanks
Hey sorry to hear about your problems, usually an ekg test is to determine certain things like, a lack of flow to the heart muscle, fast, slow or irregular rythm (you mentioned a hr of 30's...that could be a sign of bradycardia..but im not a cardiologist so i cant say for sure), heart failure (not pumping forcefully enough), parts of the heart that are too big, congenital heart defects (birth defects), problems with the heart valves, pericarditis (inflammation of the sac around the heart).

Heart block(s) occur if the electrical signal is slowed or disrupted as it moves from the upper to the lower chambers of the heart. So an ekg could pick up on the time of electrical signals that travel through the heart which could suggest a heart block. Damage to the heart muscle and its electrical system causes acquired heart block. Diseases, surgery, or medicines can cause this damage. The three types of heart block are first degree, second degree, and third degree. First degree is the least severe, and third degree is the most severe.

The symptoms and severity of a heart block depend on which type you have. First-degree heart block rarely causes severe symptoms (but your saying that your having some sypmtoms), Second-degree heart block may result in the heart skipping a beat or beats. This type of heart block also can make you feel dizzy or faint. Third-degree heart block limits the heart's ability to pump blood to the rest of the body. This type of heart block may cause fatigue (tiredness), dizziness, and fainting.

I hope this helps, and Im sure things will be okay and work out just fine. Keep a positive attitude and stop worrying yourself to sleep, its not worth it, trust me i know. If you need anything, let me know.

Yes, heart block can show up on the EKG.  If the heart block is intermittent, then the EKG must be spotted on at that second of capture.  The EKG is only show up what event in your heart at that moment of capture.

I was very lucky.  My complete heart block was showed up on the EKG at my GP office.  Then admitted, whole day not showed up anymore at the ward.
i had a heart block that was found originally in the emerge room by an ekg. i was took care of very well that night untill the early morning and then there transfered me to the cardiac floor where i had alot of follow up work done. thanks for the facts kane3 about the ekg. i didnt know that about the heart sac. i had that when i was 31 in the er. good luck boston
an EKG should also probably be able to distinguish heart block from sick sinus syndrome (which can also cause bradycardia and syncope)