ECG 22Feb10
I work for the USG in England and on late February I flew in to visit my daughter and new grandson in Nashville TN.  Two days after arrival was experience chest pains (3-4/10 scale) and decided to go to ER at Baptist Hospital.  After numerous checks: blood work, x-ray, ECG etc., the triage doctor said all well and most likely due to stress, travel and poor diet enroute and while there.

Have since ordered full copy of my record and all looks well except noted "Sinus rhythm, Left anterior fascicular block - Borderline ECG".  Should I be concerned, see doctors here as follow-on.  I am 71 and have almost historically been noted with a 'left axis deviation' assume this is same or similar but the 'block' and 'borderline' got my attention.  Blood workup and xray all normal with very slight high Na (148 mmol/L).  Should I be concerned, see docs over here for follow-up?  I take Norvasc and Nexium and both control well.  

Thank you.  Joe

I found an article from Medhelp where a cardiologist answers this

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Left-Anterior-Fascicular-Block/show/239381

As you can see, LAFB is not dangerous, though some people need a pacemaker later.
If you are concerned, it can be worth considering getting a consultation with your doctor to talk this through and get relaxed.

Borderline ECG just implies that "something" is found, ECG machines either rate an ECG "normal" "borderline" or "abnormal". Though I've got no heart disease, I don't think I've ever got a "normal" ECG. They suggest diseases that are ruled out by more advanced tests, and my doctor usually laugh.

Left axis deviation is a sign of LAFB, but can be due to several other conditions. If you have had this since you can remember, you either have a congenital LAFB (that haven't troubled you so far and probably will not) or you can have left axis deviation from other conditions, and the machine interprets wrong (it has suggested I have MI, hypertrophy and several other severe diseases). Anyway, if your doctor is not concerned, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Good luck.