Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
ECG reading - Look normal to me but recorded as irregular heart rate by...

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

ECG reading - Look normal to me but recorded as irregular heart rate by the ECG machine

Hi Dr,

I recently bought a portable ECG machine and have been checking my heart rate for irregulaity on a daily basis. I have been suffering from pvcs since 2006 and had gone for MRI, 2D echo etc. Although been told that they are benign by my cardio several times, the symptons that accompany these pvcs are unnerving. they always make me feel breathless, light headed and unwell.

Thanks - Glenn
Glenn,
I can't really do direct EKG reading -- the forum is not set up for that.

I can echo what your doctor told you -- if you have a normal EKG and a structurally normal heart, resting and exercise related PVCs only slightly increase your cardiovascular risks.  A recent article reported that recover phase of exercise PVCs are a marker of increased risk of cardiovascular events.  PVCs are trick because they cause significant symptoms in some people but also pose little risk.  In fact the interventions like ablation and anti arrhythmic meds other than beta blockers actually pose a greater risk.  The tough decisions is when the risk of medications and/or procedure is out weighed by the impact on  your quality  of life.

I hope this helps.

Whoops! I forgot to add that I would like to post the ECG reading for your advice if possible. If there a way for me to do this over the forum? The reading comes as a PDF file.

Thanks - Glenn
Thanks Doc. What do you mean by "recover phase of exercise PVCs are a marker of increased risk of cardiovascular events." Also, I am taking a very small dosage of Flecanide daily. Is it wise to continue with the medication?

Thanks - Glenn