Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Ectopic Heart Beats

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Ectopic Heart Beats

I am male and have suffered health anxiety since 18 (mother died brain tumor) am now 42.
Suffered from sudden onset dizziness since 22 never discovered why.
Had 2 brain mri's lumbar puncture epilepsy test and consultation with specialists.
Put down to anxiety.
Last MRI 2 years ago for recurrent stabbing head pain dizziness saw specialist and told it was a type of migraine.
I was electrocuted 1995.
2 Years later got first ectopic beats.
Saw cardiologist had treadmill test and 3 24hr monitor tests since and had another full workout 4-5 years ago and told again they are benign ectopic beats.
Got more of these and worse over last 2 years. More anxiety in my life too.
4 trips to ER in last 2 years with bad runs of these once kept in overnight these were brought on by arguement and confrontation heart started going one ectopic one normal beat and could feel it thudding in my chest for a long time pulse was over 110 for some time after irregular beats stopped heart x ray and ecg all normal. Discharged.
Get hundreds to 6000 of these every day now some with runs and flutters.
Every time i get excited or confrontational I get runs of these one normal beat then 1 ectopic feels like heart is slowing down when it should be speeding up told every time i go to GP anxiety.
When I masturbate (sorry) if standing up they get really bad and I have to stop or lying down not so bad but still happens.
If I am at football get excited and i jump up I get them for a few beats then they settle down.
Also sometimes get fast steady heartbeat up around 120bpm normally if i am going out socially this can last a few hours then settle when i get home. Has done it a couple of times for no reason put down to anxiety/stress.
Also every day have nausea aches and pains light headedness stabbing head pains all anxiety.
i think through worry about ectopics.

Does this sound like normal ectopic beats to you??
Am I worrying myself needlesly??
Why does it get worse when i am excited??

The sensations you have with the ectopic beats are similar to what other people describe.  Headaches are not a normal symptoms of ectopic beats, but I don't think you can blame ectopic beats for everything.  The headaches might be caused by stress or migraines but not by the ectopic beats themselves.

Am I worrying myself needlesly??

This is unfortunately a common reaction of people with both premature atrial and ventricular contractions and also have anxiety disorders.  It is pretty easy to panic yourself about these if you convince yourself that you might die from them.  The key is deconstruction the beliefs that are making you think they are dangerous despite reassurance from your doctors that they are ok.

Adrenaline goes up when you get excited and this apparently is something you are sensitive to.  In a situation like this, a beta blocker might help.  Counseling or biofeedback might help as well.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Ectopic beats after eating was started.
A related discussion, ectopic heart beat was started.