Aa
A
A
Close
Enlarged Heart (mild hypertrophy
Can a pacemaker, after three years, cause an increase in the size of the heart muscle.  I had a pacemaker put in11/06 for bradycardia.   This month, my echo shows a mild increase in heart size.  So my heart beats faster with the pacemaker...and could this be a factor in the over exertion of the heart muscle.  The MD has prescribed a calcium channel blocker which I have yet for fill .  Please advise.  Thank you,.  ***@****
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
612551 tn?1450025775
The channel blockers should slow the HR down. This seems to suggest the pacemaker is not in control, it just cuts in if the rate gets too slow, bradycardia.

I'm not sure muscle build (wall thickness?) is a normal measure of an enlarged heart.  I think that usually refers to volume size of one or more or all of the four chambers.  In any case, a mild increase isn't necessarily a bad thing, it all depends on how large the size is.  For example if the left atrium is over 5 cm in diameter (one of the measures taken by some/most echocardiograms) it is more likely that the heart will develop atrial fibrillation, not good.

If your doctor didn't raise any concern about he heart size I'd guess it is not serious. Ask him/her.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
Recent Activity
Blank
Nsvt commented on nsvt
Dec 01
Blank
Karismatico commented on Marathon Running Done...
Nov 28
Blank
Heart Rhythm Community Resources