Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Exercise induced very high heart rate
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Exercise induced very high heart rate

I am a 43 year old male, with BMI of 26.  I've been reasonably physically active all my life.  I recently started training for long runs and decided to pace myself by monitoring my heart rate when I am running.  What I've noticed is that my heart rate >150 even when I am running at a low pace of 5 miles/hour, and goes well over 185 when I am running normally at about 7 miles/hour, and if I have to traverse a hill, it climbs into the 200s. These rates remain high over the duration of my long runs -- typically an hour to hour-and-half. My resting heart rate is in the 50s.

Is this something I should be concerned about?  I have spoken to my primary physician who seemed to think it'll come down with more conditioning.  I have been told by others that this may be a result of atrial fibrillation.  Any advise is appreciated.

S.