Fast rate after drinking alcohol
I have noticed that on some nights when I have a few drinks I will wake up after a few hours to go to the bathroom and my heart will be quite fast.  Once I lie back down it returns to normal.  The funny thing is, it's not consistent.  I know the fast rate is alcohol related, but why does it only happen some of the time?
from past experience I've noticed that drinking any amount could set your heart off at any given time during rest ( if you have any form of heart condition, SVT, or VT ). When you say a few, how much is a few? I remember clearly some years ago, I was having a great night with good friends, didn't over do it on the alcohol, had a six pack in 5 hours and suddenly started getting palps and then boom full on svt. Where as other times, I would go into a binge and not care about the consequences, go to sleep, wake up the next morning with a massive hang-over and nothing bad happened. It's never the same result.

Also note that no one reacts the same way, everybody is different.
I get that racing, pounding heart rate a few hours after drinking alcohol. I've found my limit is 1/2 a beer, about 6 ounces. Any more than that and I'll pay the price. Only it takes a couple hours for the heart rate to calm down and go back to normal. It's just not worth it for me.

irene
I can tell you right now...it's not worth it.   I have a-fib and it is no fun.  There are many different arrythmias and none of them are any fun.  Alcohol, caffeine and nicotine and sugar are some of the more common triggers for arrythmias.  You are probably young...I'm betting you are in your twenties...you have to be aware and start young taking care of your health and your heart.  I can't even enjoy drinking a beer or a glass of wine anymore.  Please go easy on the alcohol.  It may save you a lot of heartache, literally, later.