Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Feeling heart beats

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Feeling heart beats

I keep on feeling my heart beat and then i feel the heart beat in my fingers and it just drives me crazy. I've already had a few EKGs ultrasound on my heart and kidneys im awaiting test from the houlter monitor but so far all the tests ive taken show that everything is normal. Minus the hypertension. and im taking atenolol twice a day. what could it be...it really bugs me.
houlter monitor was normal.
I had this problem all my life, apparently some people are just very aware of their heartbeat , even normal heartbeats, I also take atenolol up to 100mg daily, hope you get relief the key is to try and not pay it too much attention. I also noticed that this forum has not been in use for along time, hope the doctor answers you soon. Good luck
I am not qualified to give you any advice because I just joined this forum less than 24 hours ago full of nothing but questions. But you might want to consider possible stomach problems and check out the “Gastroenterology Forum”.  Especially if you have more symptoms such as abdominal discomfort (or) pain. Upper abdominal pain along the lower rib cage area seems to be fairly common.
I just joined this forums today, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I also have the same exact symptoms as you, and I am now wearing the houlter monitor. It started out of nowhere. For about a week I could feel my heart beating like it was coming out of my chest. I decided to take my pulse and noticed that my heart was actually slowing, then speeding up to normal again, which others would describe as a skipped beat. I went to the doctor and I was extremely scared, so my rate was really fast. The doctor said it was arrythmia. Then the next day, (A saturday), I went to the emergency room because my doctor told me to take two atenolol each day and it would go away but it did not. So the hospital doctor hooked me up to the EKG and said it was nothing. So I asked him to monitor me for a few minutes so he would see the skipped beats, so he did, and said he could see the PVC's or whatever he called them, and that it was still nothing but anxiety and I should take some xanax to calm me down. Now, I went back to my doctor on monday for my blood test results, and he said my blood was perfect. So now he has me on this houlter monitor. I can understand why, I just wat to say that even when I went this morning to get hooked up to this monitor, I was feeling so nervous, I was light headed, and tired, and fealt like I was about to die. Most of the problem is that the test, and the doctors talking greek make you feel frightened, so you end up not feeling any better. This all started about 1 year ago. I fealt it, but did not know it was my heart so I ignored it. It went away a week later, and I did all kinds of heavy lifting, and everyhting else after that, and it never came back. This time it came when I was just sitting in my chair playing a game and having a coffee. I don't want to sound like I am belittling this but I think you are alright. Seriously try to ignore it for a while and when it goes away, don't try to see if it is going to come back, because if you do, it will, and the cycle will start all over again.
I hope this helps.
Dave Shade
I just joined the forum and am able to feel my hearbeat in my groin and stomach a lot of the time.  I have had SVT's since 2001.  I have not had them for about 4 years until recently I had problems with my gall bladder.  That was taken out and I seem to be having a lot of stomach issues which seem to trigger a fast heartbeat etc.  I wish someone could just figure out what is wrong with my stomach.

Take care.

mightym53
Actually that is what I have been diagnosed with - SVT.  So I guess I don't have the same thing that you guys have.  My cardilogist has never mentioned PVC before.  I don't understand the difference.

Thanks.

Mary
What is the danger of propafenone for patients with heart conduction problems? I have both LBBB and RBBB.  I am taking propafenone 150mg twice daily since January and so far my pulse is steady at 60
hi all....i've been told i've got bigeminy and ectopic heart beat....i was admitted to hospital a few weeks ago with chest pain....and given the family history with my grandad dying at 50 of a heart attack and my dad having his first one at 45...they didn't want to take any chances.  I'm 42 and went to the dr when I was about 18 ...with what he told me was palpitations..I never investigated any further..and have just lived with them daily up until now...it doesn't seem to make any difference that i've stopped smoking or that i drink very little coffee...  It was established when I was in hospital that I hadn't had a heart attack..they don't actually know what that pain was ...it had started in the morning... and by the late after noon it was progressing to stabbing type pains which is when i'd gone to the Dr. But in the hospital because i was on moniters for about 15 hours they had thought further investigation needed to happen with the irregular heart beats.  Last week I had a halter moniter fitted for 48 hours....and yet to get the results back from that....and also I have to go for an echo...  So can anyone tell me is bigeminy and ectopic the same thing as heart palpitations.....or is it different?
ok thanks jsupstarz...evidently they continued right through the 15 hrs of monitoring....whether i was sleeping or awake...whether i was feeling palpitations or not....so it may not be major...will wait for the results i guess.
I have been going to the gym for two years...and stopped smoking two years ago...but still get shortness of breath when walking up hill or up stairs....
I don't have any heart problems i'm aware but while I was sleeping, during the middle of the night, I felt like my heart was lodged up to my neck and felt really uncomfortable. As it raised it began to start beating really fast for several minutes, and i think it skipped a few, beated slow then fast again. I could feel it as if the top of my heart was racing because I could feel my pulse at my neck. I didn't do anything strenuous or anything. I was just sleeping! After about 15 minutes or so, it calmed down. Was this a panic attack?
Hi there...I don't think it would be a panic attack...(although some of the other readers may  be more privy to this info).....I would have thought a panic attack would only occur when you're awake....i.e. something affects you psychologically or you think of something.....you mentally panic....and it then affects your physical body.  UNLESS it had something to do with a dream you were having? Maybe?

Have you been having much caffeine lately?...In coffee, v or energy drinks, coke etc?  Or had you had a few alcoholic drinks before you went to bed?  THis can sometimes do as you describe.  
I don't really drink much caffeine at night let alone energy drinks. I actually hate coke and any other type of sodas...

It just freaked me out is all. I never felt like this before so it's why I was curious of what the cause may have been.
My husband has had irregular heart beats for several years.  He always goes to the doctor when this occurs and each time he goes he is given the usual blood tests, Echo, stress, houlter monitor, etc.  We were told yesterday that the tests showed that his heart was the appropriate size, that the heart appears healthy and that the valves are working normally.  What alarmed me was that when he wore the monitor that the doctor told him that the have over 5,400 PVCs in a 24 hour period.  He is on a Beta Blocker now and it seems to have stopped the PVCs but I would think that this is way too many PVCs to be having (even if his heart is healthy).  Also, since I have been concerned about him, I have been sort of watching over him at night and I noticed that he sometimes shakes (not just a little) but from his feet to the middle of his body.  It is usually brief like a seizure and then he is perfectly still.  The first time that I noticed it I actually put my hand to his face to see if I felt a breath.  Then each night I noticed that this is continuing.  A couple of nights ago it was extremely long and lasted about 45 seconds to a minute.  Some times he coughs in his sleep like he has choked and I think the he may have apnea.  I mentioned this to him and the doctor is scheduling a sleep study.  Is 5400 in 24hrs high?  Is sleep apnea related to heart issues?
A related discussion, EPT n RFA was started.
A related discussion, What is the normal heartbeat. was started.
A related discussion, PVC's and Lightheadedness was started.
A related discussion, Palpitations or not? was started.
A related discussion, Having an anxiety attack at work was started.
A related discussion, Heart palpitations in throat was started.
A related discussion, I HAVE AN EXTRA HEARTBEAT SOMETIMES was started.
A related discussion, Why my heartbeat became so fast? was started.
A related discussion, I Can Hear My Heartbeat in My Stomach was started.
A related discussion, Palputations was started.