Flutter after eating
I am as of late having a flutter after eating as well as occassionally. I have had this for a few years. I had a heart attack last April but after the cath it appeared to be very minute blockage and the cardiologist did see a beneifeit for a stent. the flutter went away when I was in the hospital, I am on a few BP meds and a thinner metroprolol. I am having the flutter mor often now and was wondering what it could be.

Hello...

Were they ever able to document this "flutter" on an EKG or by continuous monitoring while you were hospitalized? Without actually catching this it is only a guess as to the exact probelm.

If I had to guess I'd say that it sounds like it could be a PAC or PVC, both are premature contractions in either the atria or ventricle. There are many people who notice an increase after eating. There are some that say this could be due to increased vagal tone or hyperstimulation of the vagus nerve.

The vagus nerve is involvolved in a variety of the body's functions such as heart rate, gastrointestinal peristalsis (rhythmic contraction of smooth muscles to propel contents through the digestive tract), sweating, and quite a few muscle movements.

Have you ever discussed this with your cardiologist? I hope that you find relief from these "flutters" but suggest that you speak to your Dr about it since you do have a history of heart attack.

Best of luck to you:)
I only get flutters within 45 minutes of eating-no other time. After 45 minutes, I know I won't have them until the next meal. The doc thinks it has to do with the stimulation of the vagal nerve, but nothing serious. Get your doc to let you wear a 30 day monitor to see what you are doing.
I too have "flutters" or PVC's and PAC's after eating, I have found that for me watching my diet has helped me alot. I also eat smaller amounts of food 4 or 5 times a day instead of big meals. I suffer from GERD and the flutters started around the same time as the GERD, but I was still checked out by a cardiologist and he said my heart is sound so now I am in the process of finding out what my "triggers" are and trying to avoid them.

Best of Luck to you....

I noticed my flutters would occur after I ate at home and headed back to work. If I eat and sit still for a while I don't get them. Then today, I had to get back to work. I always sit on my front steps to put my shoes on. When I pulled my knee up towards my chest, which in turn 'scrunched' my stomach up, the flutters occured. After thinking about it, that is the same way they have been occurring each day when i head back to work. So it seems that anything that puts pressure on my stomach causes my PVC's-or flutters. Weird huh? Now I have to figure out how to put my shoes on without bending my knees. Flip flops to work (ha).