Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Fluttering chest

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Fluttering chest

Hi, I'm a 21 year old female, and I have noticed over the past number of weeks that I occassionally experience a fluttering or rapid heartbeat, which is quite uncomfortable. I drink about 3-4 cups of tea a day, and I have a lot of work on at the moment as part of my college course, so I feel it may be related to caffeine or stress. I am not overly concerned, its just that my aunt suffers from irregular heart beat, and so I am aware that it may run in my family. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it just normal? Thanks!
Marie_anne,
You are correct that it is probably not dangerous.  There are some tests that are required to know for sure.  It is probably best that  you see a doctor.  they will typically do a history and physical exam plus an EKG.  based on that, they may order a heart monitor and possible an echocardiogram.  In the mean time, you should try cutting out the caffeine and tea.  Other common triggers are stress, sleep deprivation, caffeine, tea, and chocolate -- I know these are things college students live on.

You are correct that most people have similar sensations and live with them without seeing a doctor.  I think it is best to talk to a doctor about them so you know what they are.

I hope this helps.  thanks for posting.