Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Fluttering chest
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fluttering chest

Hi, I'm a 21 year old female, and I have noticed over the past number of weeks that I occassionally experience a fluttering or rapid heartbeat, which is quite uncomfortable. I drink about 3-4 cups of tea a day, and I have a lot of work on at the moment as part of my college course, so I feel it may be related to caffeine or stress. I am not overly concerned, its just that my aunt suffers from irregular heart beat, and so I am aware that it may run in my family. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it just normal? Thanks!
Related Discussions
230125_tn?1193369457
Marie_anne,
You are correct that it is probably not dangerous.  There are some tests that are required to know for sure.  It is probably best that  you see a doctor.  they will typically do a history and physical exam plus an EKG.  based on that, they may order a heart monitor and possible an echocardiogram.  In the mean time, you should try cutting out the caffeine and tea.  Other common triggers are stress, sleep deprivation, caffeine, tea, and chocolate -- I know these are things college students live on.

You are correct that most people have similar sensations and live with them without seeing a doctor.  I think it is best to talk to a doctor about them so you know what they are.

I hope this helps.  thanks for posting.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...