Heart Rhythm Community
Flutters felt all over body normal?

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Flutters felt all over body normal?

I'm a 28 year old male, 30lbs overweight and not as active as I used to be. I've been feeling frequent heart flutters in lots of different areas of my body. Everything from my knees to my calf muscles, my arms, shoulders, torso, neck, everywhere. Is this normal? I had blood tests recently which showed I have very low HDL but otherwise normal cholesterol levels, blood sugar, all that stuff. I also had an ekg a few months back which was normal except that the doctor said I had an "normally abnormal" heart rhythm. Are my flutters just an offshoot of an irregular heart beat and more importantly, should I be concerned?
I'm not sure what is causing your "flutters" but I do know that your heart rhythm is not causing whatever you are feeling in your knee and elsewhere in your body.  I am curious as to whether these "flutters" that you describe are similar to the eye twitches that we all get from time to time.  Those jumpy muscles that occur for all of us every once in awhile.  If that is what you are describing, then I would suggest that you may have a potassium, sodium or magnesium imbalance that could be tested with a simple blood test.  Certain salts (including those listed above) are necessary for the firing (contraction) of muscle cells and if there are electrolyte imbalances in your body it can cause your muscles (including the heart muscle) to fire abnormally.  Sometimes this causes the twitchy things and sometimes, particularly with low potassium, you end up with the really nasty charlie horses!!!  (OUCH).  That's why trainers tell you to eat lots of bananas when you are weight training.  

Anyway...you may want to get your electrolyte levels checked.  Perhaps something as simple as a daily dose of Gatorade or Pedialyte would solve your problems.  Then again...perhaps not.  I'm not a doctor, but it is an angle you have not yet investigated.

Good luck.
Hetherington lizzy Comment
Apr 23
Shasara is ... Comment
Apr 22
Lilymin joined this community
Welcome them!
Apr 22