Heart Rhythm Community
Have you had Cardioversion?

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Have you had Cardioversion?

My Cardiologist just called to let me know that she's scheduled a Cardioversion for me.  I have atrial fibrillation and am on Coumadin to prepare me for the procedure.  My blood must be thinned so I don't throw a blood clot during the CV.  Have any of you had this done?  
Yes, just had it done yesterday. Piece of cake really. They put you out, so you won't even know it's been done when you wake up. Good luck! Mark
Did it help?  Did it leave any burns?  So, you're fast asleep or is it more of a "twilight" sleep, where you hear everything going on?

I'm so glad to hear from someone who's had it done.  I'm a bit nervous about it.  I'll be having it done on July 21st.  First the Cardiologist wants me on more Coumadin [blood thinner] before she does it.
Yep i had it done a couple of times as well and like munk said its really no biggie.  There are a couple of ways they may do it...either thru meds thru an IV line or using electrical assistance like an AED but either way is pretty much a walk in the park i think.  If you have the meds you are completely awake and they just add it to the line and like munk says if its and electrical conversion you are given a twighlight med like Versed so that you don't have a clue whats going on...either way it works great and in most cases the odds are in your favor to convert your heart...good luck with your appt. and who knows maybe your heart will convert on its own before then..maybe she is just waiting till mid July to see if it converts on its own...i am wondering why she is waiting?
The doctor is waiting because she wants me on Coumadin for 3 weeks prior to the procedure [no risk of blood clots].....she's being conservative with her approach and I'm on so many medications [keeping the fibrillating to a minimum.]

I will be having the electrodes.  Did you have any burning on you skin?  Will I be able to return to work the following day?
Yes, I have had the electrical cardio-version.  My experience was not so easy.  After the patches were applied, I was in twilight sleep and the shock was applied 6 times to no avail.  I do not remember the number of joules I was given but each time it was elevated.  It did not work as I was back in AFib with in minutes.  And I was left with a burn that made it uncomfortable to wear a bra for a day or two.  It healed rather quickly.

I am curious why you are not on coumadin all the time?
I have had 2 electro-cardioversions.  I was not aware of either one, just out for seconds.  They both worked.  The first one they used more voltage, not sure why, and I had a burn, similar to a bad sunburn.  It was pretty sensitive for 3-4 days.  They gave me some silver/sulfa cream and that cooled it off.  The second time it was much less of a burn and only bothered me for a day.  After the first one I was tired, I have Afib with a rapid venricular response and my heart was 140-150 resting and 180 when I was up and around for 4 days.  I may have been tired out from all the meds they tried.  The second one tired me out less.  It really is a pretty easy procedure in my experience.  Some people do it as an outpatient.
It sounds like your doctor is being extra cautious, and getting your blood thin enough so you don't have a clot.  Sounds like you are in good hands.  Good luck, Keeping you in my thoughts. . .
I have had at least 4 electrocardioversions, all left me with burn marks the shape of the patches on my chest and back (I'm a male).  None were painful, I just noticed them when looking in a mirror.

All were easy, but why so many? you may ask!

None were permanent, in fact I am not in permanent AFib.  I got about 18 months of NSR out of two of them, about a month out of the first one and only 5 days out of the last one.

The second and third did much better because I was on a stronger anti-arrhythmic drug following those conversions.  I took Propafenone 225 mg three times a day.  That no longer will hold me in NSR, nor will Rhythmol... I think I was taking something over 400 mg of that stuff, and the conversion lasted only 5 days. I am no longer a candidate for electrocardioversoin.

Hope you have at least a good luck as I had with my middle two.  I believe the conversion is never permanent, AFib will return sometime in the future.  I think this is true for many even for the Ablation procedure, which is an invasive procedure.  I don't consider electrocardioversion to be invasive, nothing goes into your body other than electrons (shock).