Heart Rhythm Community
Hearing my pulse in my ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Hearing my pulse in my ears

Ok im having some weird symptoms for a awhile now thats starting to get worse... I can hear my pulse in my ears, im feeling kinda dizzy and it feel like i need to POP my ears really bad but doesnt work. the wooshing pulse sound i hear really only happens when i first get up in the morning. The dizzy feeling seems to be all day long which has made my neck very tenced. I did go to a little clinic down the street because my dr is out of town. Anyway they did look in my ears and said that everything looks fine, but he did order me some prednisone to reduce any inflammation i may have, also antivert for the dizziness. its seems to be helpng with the dizziness but i can still hear my heart beat wooshing to my brain, and after taking these meds my ears have become very sensitive to sound, sound is actually hurting my ears, like just typing on the keyboard hurts them. Has anyone been through something simular to this?
Hearing your pulse in one or both ears could be anything from tinnitus to high BP.  You didn't say how old you were, but I distinctly remember as a child, when my veins and arteries were new and supple, iif  I laid my head on a pillow in a certain way and (I guess) compressed the carotid artery, I could hear the blood pushing through the restriction.  It made a pulsing, whining noise.m I was a very strange sound.
I have the heartbeat in my ear. I have had tinnitus for years but not the sound of my pulse in ear. I took my bp when I heard it but was low. I am not dizzy when it happens though.
Did the doctor at the clinic check you blood pressure (must have it is a standard procedure)... was it normal?

I can hear my pulse only occasionally when lying down.  I normally do not hear my heart beat and in fact I have a hard time finding it with my fingers when I want to count my heart rate.  I have low normal blood pressure which may be the reason I have difficulty feeling my pulse, still I do sometime hear it, but just faintly, I also feel it at those times, best I can recall.

The dizziness would be due to low BP, the hearing to high BP, so you BP reading is an important numeric.  

I do not know the medications you mention, but I think it would be a good idea to have a careful check-up with your regular doctor.
my blood preasure with my wrist cup is allways between 118/80-128/88 , so sometimes it runs a few numbers high. everytime im checked at the doctor my bp is normal. The dizziness is starnge, doent feel so much like it has anything to do with my circulation but more with my balance and preasure, cause when i turn my head i even feel dizzy.. Oh well i just need testing done, its just almost impossible to get done because i dont have medical insurance, good job and money but no insurance
There are lots of causes of your symptoms not just hbp. You may have a buildup of earwax, an inner ear infection, menieres disease, fluid in ear, nerve damage from loud noises,etc. The list goes on and on. Look up tinnitus and I think you will find that helpful. And if you can afford a trip to your primary Dr I am sure he can tell you something that will be helpful.
I just went to the cardiologist today because I've had pounding in my right ear for about the last six months. I can also feel my pulse in the back of my neck, sometimes my back or shoulders. My blood pressure isn't high and my pulse isn't all that fast. Nor is it irregular.  My doctor says that some people, especially thin, tall women with a more narrow chest cavity can develop this and there's really not much to do for it except to take a beta blocker. Apparently if your blood pressure is okay and your heart isn't racing or very irregular it's not dangerous.  But when I exercise, and after meals or sleeping, it's scary and drives me nuts. I can't take beta blockers because they slow my heart too much and drop my blood pressure so low I can't function at work.

I'm having a  regular treadmill stress test next week, and am a little concerned because my heart pounds so much when I exercise. And I'm almost 69 years old. But I guess it's the only way to be sure I can go for walks and do other normal things  with out being worried, even if my heart's pounding.  Anyone else have this?

I forgot to add that I did see an ear doctor too. It wasn't ear wax or an ear infection. He did an MRI of my head with dye contrast around my ear to check for other issues.  While I do have tinnitus (ear ringing) and have had it for at least 10 years, the pounding is new.

The tinnitus (along with vertigo) began when I  had a viral inner ear infection.  I still get occasional bouts of dizziness or lightheadedness, but it's not as bad.  The pounding in my ear and throbbing in my head, neck, back, or chest with the pounding heartbeat, is kind of unnerving. Guess there's not much else to try for now.
Tensed neck muscles are known to cause a feeling of dizziness.

The rest sounds like swelling near the structure of your ears.  If you are having to clear the pressure in your ears "pop", that means the eustation tubes are probably clogged or swollen shut.
p.s., a common cause for swollen eustation tubes is allergies or viral illness.  These can persist for quite some time.
I'm having loud, pounding pulse going on in my head right now. It feels like there is pressure in my head. I've had an MRI and it didn't show anything except a vein close to my ear. Do veins move around?? Why am I hearing this now and never before? I'm 56 years old and haven't heard this before. It'so loud and scary.
Yes, ears and ear wax.  I do not have chronic problems with ear wax but on two time in a long life I went to a doctor (in the first case a Navy doctor) because of ear ache and blockage problems after air ops... the second time much more recently after a commercial flight - seems air pressure changes may trigger my ear problem, but mostly not I have flown a lot!  Then a third time (my memory is surprising me and boring others lol) I went in for a hearing test and was sent to my primary care to get ear wax removed before testing.  On all occasions a blob of ear wax was removed.

I try to do some ear maintenance buy lying on my side and dropping in a few drops of full strength hydrogen peroxide.  I let it set for at least 5 minutes before draining it out.  This works for me and I think  the HydroPerOx is more effective than over the counter ear wax removers I have used.  The HydroPerOx surely bubbles and tickles more.

I agree it sounds like an ear, not heart issue.  Try cleaning ear wax a few times, maybe no more than once a day (I don't know what might frequency would cause side effets).

Good luck, and Hurray ?? One living in the USA can go on-line and get low cost medical insurance LOL  

I just read your profile, mom.  Good to read of your love and accomplishments at home and at work.  

Being an elderly person myself who has experienced the problems of aging in those in my family born before me I thank you for your work in long term care, which I understand is mostly older people.

God Bless and Merry Christmas
I am forty yrs old. Have pvcs. I do this from time to time. Pulsing and swooshing in my ears. Needing to pop them. My doc puts me on claritin when I do this and it fixes the problem. Could be something that simple. I can't take claritin D as the decongestant makes my pvcs worse. But regulat claritin doesn't bother me. Now claritin is available otc. Used to I had to get a scrip for it. It wouldn't hurt to ask ur doc about that.
You have wax built up in the back of your ear canal. You need to get an earwax removal kit from CVS, WalGreens, etc. It comes with a small bottle of Carbarnide peroxide and an ear syringe. Lay on your side so that the pulsing ear is up, and drop several drops of the peroxide into your ear, you'll want to fill your ear canal all the way to the top so that it almost drips out. You'll notice it's an oily peroxide that fizzes up really thick when it comes into contact with earwax. It feels really weird, but you just have to lay there and take it for about 5 mins. When you notice it's slowing down, pull on your earlobe vigorously to agitate the peroxide and let more of the oil and foam get underneath, behind, and on the sides of the plug of wax that is stuck in your ear. This is the key to the whole thing, you probably have a plug of wax that has been building up for months in the back of your ear. Consequently, the wax towards the back of the ear starts to dry out and harden, which causes discomfort and swelling. Moreover, this is what causes that awful pulsing and swooshing.

Once the foaming has stopped(5-7 mins) you'll want to fill your bathroom sink up and 1/4 of the way with warm water. Now take the syringe and fill it with the warm water and lay your head sideways over the sink with the affected ear facing upwards. You'll need to insert the syringe into your ear canal so that it fits snuggly. Now the tricky part, when you squeeze the water into your ear, you'll need to make sure the syringe is inside your ear snuggly enough that you can build up the pressure of the water in your ear slowly. Once the pressure is really high, clamp down hard on the ball of the syringe so that the water shoots out of your ear violently. It's the pressure that breaks up that really hard and dry wax, and you'll need to repeat using the syringe several time, the more pressure the better. Once you get it, you'll notice these really gross chucks landing in the sink. Sometimes they'll be dark and hard, from building up for months and hardening.

I work in a loud environment, so I wind up having to do this process every few months because of all the excess buildup I get. It causes me discomfort, and causes my ear to pulse and swoosh, it's awful. If you do it to one ear and you get all the chunks flying out and it cures the pulsing, you should probably go ahead and do it to the other ear, theres probably a good bit built up in there too and it's just waiting to get big enough to do the exact same thing to the other ear.
Also, be careful after you finish each ear. You'll notice when you lift your head that feel unsteady, it's because flushing your ears out causes your equilibrium to be temporarily thrown off. You'll want to lay right down for a few moments after each ear to let this wear off.
I have this too and it is very important that you go to the doctor. Sometimes it happens just because a blood vessel is close to the bone near the ear and is completely harmless.

But it is potentially very harmful. It is called pulsatile tinnitus or pulse synchronous tinnitus and it is something completely different from tinnitus. So don't mix them up. Tinnitus is harmless but pulsatile tinnitus is not.

First it must be established if the noise is venous or arterial. If it is arterial the most common cause is a dural fistula, if it is venous the most common cause is intracranial hypertension. Both can have devastating effects if left untreated.

It is not an emergency but it should be checked. An MRA is mandatory.

If it suddenly disappears it is an emergency because that means that the blood suddenly takes another way, which could be lethal. And this warrants a visit to the ER.

A good doc and a MRA is a good start.

I have had this for many years and I didn't care about it. Last week I mentioned it to my doc and it started a whole new ballgame. I didn't know it was important..

If it is established as harmless, then beta blockers can help you by improving cerebral blood flow, not only by calming down your heart.