Heart Rhythm Community
Heart

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Heart

Today, I experienced extemely fast heart rate, struggling to breath and paint in my chest and i nearly blacked out, i did goto the er they said something about my heart rythm and going to a cardioligist but i wouold like to know if it happens again what can, i do to breathe properly so i don't cause myself to black out
What is extremely fast?  Anything over 200 would be in that category in my mind.  The fact that you almost passed out would lead me to guess it was that high.

What else did ER go?  Did they run any tests, EKG, Blood other?

It sounds like you should see a Cardiologist, but it may be easier to get a quick appointment with your primary care (or a walk in clinic) doctor.  
Try holding your breath and bearing down like you are straining to go to the bathroom.  Try drinking a very cold glass of water.  Try even jumping up and down.  The key is to try and disrupt the fast beat and get yourself back into normal rhythm.  But mostly just try to do your best to slow your breaths as best you can and that should help.  Did they tell you if it was run of the mill svt or afib?  Did someone prescribe blood thinners or tell you to take baby aspirins until you see the cardiologist?  If not then likely it is just run of the mill svt.  Take care and let us know how it goes with the cardiologist.
The best thing to do is to lie down flat, elevate your feet a bit and relax. The important thing is to determine the reason for the fast heart rate. "Straining" as if you are going to the toilet may lower the heart rate by stimulating the vagus nerve, but I am not sure that is necessarily the best advice. Often these high heart rates are transitory and self-limiting. Relaxing and calling 911 is probably the best thing to do. When you eventually see a cardiologist and determine the reason for the high heart rate you will get advice on how to control this.
Avatar n tn
Had EKG done just after 5 minutes the heart settles itself and the time i got to the A&E it was all calm
Avatar n tn
will try theese methods and thanks for the advice
Avatar n tn
thanks for the advice and i will try this as well