Heart Murmur/Atrial Fibrillation
I posted on this site a few weeks ago when at pre-op assessment for shoulder surgery I was told I have a heart murmur and have to have an echocardiogram  to eliminate the possibility of murmur being caused by leaky heart valve before they will operate  I also have paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation. Today on a visit to my own doctor I asked her to check my heart out. I was in AF at the time and my heart was jumping around like mad - she said she couldn't hear a murmur but that would be because my heartbeat was all over the place. Does AF mask or cover up the sound of a murmur and can AF actually cause a murmur?
Hello...

I responded to your question a few weeks ago...Detecting murmurs can be difficult if they are mild. If you are currently in atrial fib, and the murmur is mild...I agree that it may be difficult to detect.

Atrial Fibrillation is not known to cause a heart murmur. Actually it is the opposite...Defects in the mitral valve are causitive factors for Afib...It is believed that this is due to the remodeling that takes place in the heart and the strain that it under while actively fibrillating. Did your Dr suggest that you have an echo?
Hi! Thanks for your response. After I posted I remembered that you had replied previously to my question about Afib. I guess my murmur must be mild then. Yes doctor has arranged for echo on 29th January so hopefully I will be able to get my surgery after that. I feel quite confident that the echo will show valves to be fine and that the murmur is mild. Thanks again.
I recall this post too and may have expressed my surprise previously.

I am surprised a murmur or AFib would cause on to postpone surgery on the shoulder.

Wishing you a Happy New Year with lots of good news on your heart condition.
Hello...

Your welcome...I hope that it all works out for you and that the surgery improves whatever is ailing your shoulder:)