Heart Murmur
Ok, so I've been sick for about three days: stuffy nose, fatigue, and sore throat...and a little coughing, so I stayed home from school.  I went to work at about one so I could do the filing really quick and go back to bed (I work in a Pulmonologist Clinic).  Well the people I work with told me I looked awful and that the doctor should see me.  So called me back and asked questions and took my heart beat.  Well it turns out that I have a heart murmur and he's wanting to monitor it so I'm going to get an echocardiogram.  But what does this mean?  Is it bad that I'm only sixteen and I'm having heart murmurs?  I'm active (I run about 4 times a week) and I eat moderately healthy although I do love chocolate...so what could this mean for me?
You should not worry too much, just do what the doctor says.  Heart murmurs are very common and many are not even treated, just monitored.  Have the tests done and it will probably be normal.  Sometimes a doctor will hear what is called a "murmur" one day, and not the next.  There are a lot of "false positives", that is why you need an echo, to look at the structure of the heart to make sure everything is working right.  It's a good test for a person to have.  I love chocolate more than you I bet and I have to avoid it because it makes my heart beat funny.  Let's see what the echo says....