Heart Rhythm Community
Heart Palpataions when leaning over, or after eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I've had problems over the years with palpations, but not like the last couple of months.
Its ongoing day and night, but after eating, or if I lean over especially when I'm sitting down. I can tell that coffee or anything with caffine can trigger it as well. I'm sure that being overweight isn't helping either.
At night when I'm trying to sleep I loose my breath and stop breathing and have to lay there and force myself to breath along with puting up with the palpatations. I have insomnia to begin with and with this I now even get less sleep.
When I wake up I am so tired and exhausted I don't even want to go to work. I can't think clearly, I walk around in a daze as though I had lack of oxygen to my brain, plus my brain feels funny almost like someone put a small battery to it and I can feel this strange electrical charge.
It's been hard to put my finger on just what causes this since it happens so often. I even changed the pain cream I was using for my back pain to see if that would help, since I've became chemical  and food sensitive within the last 4 years I have to be so careful what I use. But now even typing this up on the internet I'm kind of leaning  forward and I can feel myself not feeling right.
I did go to my doctor and he did a EKG and said it was fine ( the nurse only ran the thing for less then a minute -can't see how they can tell in that short of a time) but the minute I sat up off the table the palpations started again, why I didn't have the palpatations while laying on that table but I do when I lay down on my bed at night ,I don't understand.
I'm scheduled to go in for a halter monitor in Aprill but there are nights when I wonder if I'm going to make it that long.
I've also wondered if there might be some kind of chemicals in beef that could be causing this as well, I seem to feel it after I've eating somekind of beef product.
I've also heard that sometimes when your going through the change of life you can have heart palpatations to the point you wonder if you having a heart attack, Oprah did a show on it years ago when she was going through it.

The halter monitor should help define what is going on with your heart.  From what I read it seems strange the EKG couldn't catch .. even in one minute.  I have permanent AFib, and it shows every time I have an EKG.

The good reading on the EKG and I'm sure your doctor listened to your heart and didn't hear anything that raised a concern, you should be for further measurements in April.

You didn't say anything about heart rate or blood pressure.  Caffeine is something to be avoided, I think for most people, clearly for people who have palpitations.  Remember caffeine come is lots of things besides coffee, e.g., tea, chocolate, regular and diet cola.. and more.  In fact you may want to try a bland, low fat, low calorie, high fiber diet and see what happens.  I'd thow in an aspirin a day too if you can tolerate that medicine.
sometimes when i lean over i get palpitations too. like if i'm standing at my desk and bend over to use the computer. it seems to be related to breathing movements/how your insides are moving in that position? when i was at the doctor's this happened while he was listening to my heart, and he didn't say anything.

i don't think there's anything particularly telling in beef, other than it's unhealthy for you because it has a lot of saturated fat, etc. (i read somewhere that beef takes seven days to digest through your stomach.) i agree with jerry, a high fiber, vegetarian diet (with some protein, like from soy or fish) while staying very hydrated, can do wonders.

an EKG is actually pretty telling in that minute it runs. if you had something seriously wrong with your heart, it would probably be detected there. PVCs are not dangerous, unless you have them with symptoms/you faint, or you have them in a row. your holter will let you know for real though if they're bad.

also, look into your blood pressure. is it normal?
I suffer from Mitral Valve Prolapse and I also get palpitations when I lean over.  Ask your doctor for a echocardigram.
These problems sound to me like they could be related to a hiatal hernia. I say this because I have one, and when I lean over, lie down, or slouch in a chair, especially after eating or drinking water, I get those horrid PAC's  I have also, at times, had a hard time breathing when I first lay down, again, this can be related to the hiatal hernia or even anxiety. It is scary for sure, but usually benign.

Even though those EKG's are fast, they will normally catch any abnormalities. Also, it might be a good idea to ask for an ECHO, this will show any heart structure abnormalities.

Meat, mainly beef, is very hard to digest, so again, this tells me your problems might be related to digestion and/or a hiatal hernia. It could also be allergy or sensitivity to beef, there are so many chemicals in our meat anymore, hard to say what causes our symptoms.  Try taking some digestive aids right before your meal, it might help, it does me.
Hi, I also get palpitations when I lean over, so I know it is really frustrating.  I actually had a lot of your symptoms.  I am just now looking into this website after finally having an ablation done after many years of palpitations.  I am still having some palpitations, so it prompted me to look this up and I saw this post.  Mine started out as feelings of skipped beats, then gradually progressed to episodes of fast heartbeat (250bpm).  I have SVT and ended up having some spots on my atria causing this.  

My palpitations almost always started out with my leaning over somehow.  It got to where I was very cautious anytime I had to bend over and pick anything up!  I also felt like after eating I would have them as well and I assumed a combination of being full and breathing weird.  The cardiologist didn't seem to think there was a correlation, but seems maybe there is.  Also, I would always feel like I had to cough especially after eating.  Sometimes I felt like I was holding my breath and not knowing it and would have to concentrate on normal breathing.  I am not sure what you have, but some things sound so similar.

It took many years to "catch" my symptoms on the holter monitor, but it is definitely good I kept going back to ask the doc.  I am overall healthy, normal EKGs, normal echo/stress....and of course I'd never have major palpitations on the monitor until they came more frequently.  Sounds like you will be able to catch something since you are getting them often.  I hope your doc can give you some answers that will help you.  I will say although I am still having some palpitations, I do notice the difference with symptoms after I was diagnosed and treated.  I am not coughing as much and leaning over doesn't always trigger palpitations anymore.  
I'm not a nurse...not yet anyway(couple of years at least...lol) but some of the symptoms sound alot like sleep apnea, sleep apnea can cause heart palps,being tired in the morning,headaches...etc...maybe you could check into that....
Figured out what was causing my weird/scary palpataions... bengay ! yes the pain cream. I don't know why, guess there is something in it that I am allergic to, but within 48 hours of  me stop using it the palpations went away. I wish I had known this before having a halter heart monitor , doctor visits and blood tests.