Heart Rhythm Community
Heart Palpitations at Age 18

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Heart Palpitations at Age 18

Hi, I'm an 18 year old female, and I've been having random rapid heart beats that occur every so often. The only caffeine I drink is black tea in the morning. I've always been sensitive to caffeine like Coca-Cola which makes me stay up all night from having one can. The rapid heart beats make my chest feel flutter-y and it takes my breath away. They only last for about a minute, and they never occur when I'm doing somthing stressful, the only times they have happened have been times like when I was with friends, surfing the Internet, walking in the mall, and taking a shower. I would love to go see a doctor about this, but my insurance is changing their programs and there are no doctors in my area accepting my insurance. What should I do? Is it even dangerous? It's something I can live with, as long as it's not a danger to me. Please help me.
Hi M91,
Sounds like are having arrhythmias. Google aarhythmias and see what you find. To some individuals caffeine can cause that. Good luck, let me know what you come up with.
Hi i read your post...first off i would caution you on scaring yourself by googling things out at your age that no doubt do not apply to you......the second best info i can give you is that i understand that there is a site geared at people just your age on this site called Teen Social Group that you can talk to other people your own age and get advice that would fit you a little better.  You are obviously more than welcome here with us but Meggers the majority of people on this particular site are much older than yourself with some pretty serious things happening to them right now and you cannot compare to what is going on with them to yourself  To me it sounds like you have a little bit of induced atrial fib going on with you and may very well be bringing it on yourself.  Some of the indicators are that cause it from time to time is caffeine and i am letting you know that black tea is loaded with caffeine....so is energy drinks, colored sodas, chocolate, sugar products aren't great, drinks with electrolytes like gatorade....and that is just the beginning...stress and anxiety figure into it...not getting enough sleep at nite is not good, and the list goes on and on and on.....Meg go to the teen social group on this site i bet you anything you'll find friends there that are going thru the same thing as you are and if you are super worried talk to your parents about it but from what you have described i would not be too worried at all......link in with this group i;m sure you'll find friends on that site that are going thru the same thing as you are....good luck
hey,i'm 23 and from derry, ireland. i have the Exact same problem as you, i went to the doctor and i was given a 24 hour heart trace, when the results came back the doctor said i had something called respiratory sinus arrhythmia and that it is nothing to worry about. it still happens to me but it's more annoying now than Scary, he said it would go away with time. good luck.....
Hi, Thank you for your advice. But I couldn't find the teen social group you were talking about. And just to let you know, I wasn't comparing myself to anyone else on this site. And I'm sorry if I offended anyone or you by posting this on this site. I understand that there are people on here going through life changing illnesses and problems and I had no intention on minimizing or degrading their problems.
-Meggers
Meggers that was not what i was saying at all......you have completely misunderstood what i was telling you........the group that is set up for medhelp for teens can be found by going to the left of your screen to forums and going to teen social group.  I was told by the head of that group to recommend it to young people in your age group because there are so many things that you will be able to identify with one another.  Like i said you are definately more than welcome on this site and i am only a forum member myself and if you feel much better here than by all means stay with us....i was trying to give you some advice and help to place you within a group with young people your own age because alot of times teens go thru the same things.  Please do not take offense at what i had posted to you....good luck to you Meggers and that was a very interesting post that you did..............and that is what youth is all about i believe......
Hi!
I am sorry you are going through that, I know it can be scary! I am not doctor but it sounds like the symptoms of a PVC or PAC. I have PVCs and they feel like a flutter or skip and then sometimes my heart rate goes up. It also feels like they take my breath away. These are considered harmless in a normal heart. This is just my opinion based on the similarity of our symptoms.You proably should get checked by a doctor and they can give you a monitor to wear for a day or two and see if there is any abnormal rhythms. I understand about the insurance problem but maybe you can talk to the ins. company and find the closest cardiologist and make the trip? You should only have to go a few times as long as everything is okay. Good luck!!! I hope you find some answers! BTW I'm only 27:)
Hi. I do not have insurance either. I contacted the cleveland clinic and they have a in house or sort of charity assistance program that if you are around the poverty level you can qualify for anywhere between 25-100% coverage of your bills. You might want to check into also some major heart hospitals close to you to see if they have a similar program. I read of a hospital close to me that is overing this sort of charity discount, but I want to go to the best heart hospital there is.

Any symptoms like arrythmias with the heart need to be checked out. Some are benign and common and some require some help. No one can tell you exactly what is wrong unless they capture them on a monitor or ekg or echocardiogram test. Your young though and can handle some caffeine which is good compared to some like myself that can not tough it at all. Look into these programs and try not to worry so much. Apply for medicaid also which is a state health insurance program. Although depending on your income medicaid can be tough to get depending on which state you live.