Heart Rhythm Community
Heart Problem?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Heart Problem?

Hello, I am a 22 year-old female with some history of heart problems in my family (maternal g-father heart attack, mom and brother diagnosed heart murmurs).  About a couple of weeks ago, I had woken up, and about 10 minutes into waking I noticed my heart would pause for a second and then the next beat would be very strong.  I've had this for years and my doctor said this was fine, and they usually go away within 20 minutes to an hour at most.  However this one; never went away.  While placing one hand over my chest and my other at my neck to feel the beats, I noticed that it is doing something a little different than the usual pauses.  It almost feels like it's "quivering".  I made an appointment with my doctor and they hooked me up to an EKG, but of course this was when my heart was beating normally and they didn't catch it.  The symptoms faded for a few days, but last weekend they had come back just the same as before.  This time, they have not gone away.  I have been monitoring my heart rate which has been normal and consistent, and there hasn't been any other symptoms that has risen since.  I've done some researching and it seems I may have some sort of 'arrhythmia' IF I'm even right in that assumption.  I will be taking a blood test soon that my doctor requested I have from my last appointment.  
My question to you is , is this something that someone else has experienced?  My last appointment at my PCP they sort of just "dismissed" me when my EKG turned up normal.  Do I continue trying to make appointments with them or is this honestly nothing really to worry about?  I'm very sorry if this at all seems confusing, it's very hard to describe exactly what's going on.  If anyone needs any more information, please ask and I will do my best!

Danie D
Hi danie. Yes I have the same problem. I'm currently pregnant so my palpitations are occurring more often and more times in the day.  Which is worrysome to me /: But previously to getting pg. I got the EKG - drs told me its normal (mind you I wasn't having an episode). I've also had a heart monitor on for 24 hrs. -came back normal drs think in crazy I guess /:  
But my heart skips a beat try's to get back to rhythm, etc.  I lose breath at times. It sometimes hurts. I get to points where I cry cuz it scares the crap outta me.

My mom have MVP.  My sister complained about her heart and she immediately got an ultrasound. And she also has MVP. I just dnt get why they won't give me an ultrasound when I'm in there more /: lol. Btw I'm 24 going on 25 next week annd I've had these heart palp. For a long time. I've done bloodwork. Everything came back fine. ):

Don't give up if you believe something is up. Your story isn't confusing but I think mine is lol. Hopefully it makes sense. Btw I apologize for my phone autocorrecting words. Lol.
It does sound as though you have some sort of arrhythmia though what exactly can not be said until it is captured which unfortunately can be like chasing your tail.  That said, in general it sounds like you may have pacs or pvcs.  These are very common and are not of any consequence to an otherwise healthy heart.  But some sort of heart pause/block cannot be ruled out either.  The quiver episodes you feel may be a run of pacs or pvcs but again, until it is captured one can't say for sure what it is.  But again, even runs of pvcs that do not sustain for more than 30 seconds are of no concern in an otherwise healthy heart.  Have you tried to check what you heart rate is during a quiver episode?  You might want to invest in a heart rate watch to see if you can get a reading when it happens.  The big question though is are you experiencing any sort of adverse symptoms beyond what you are feeling like shortness of breath, dizziness or passing out.  Those types of symptoms are a bit more concerning.  But if you are not having any ill effects from what is going on chances are you will not need to do a think about what you are feeling.  Working on eliminating any stress in your life will do wonders to help quiet down your heart rumblings.  But if this is really bothersome to you and you know you will have the quiver episodes at least within the span of a month you might want to ask the cardiologist for an event monitor so you can catch what it is you are experiencing.  At least at that point you will know what you are dealing with.  Well take care.  I know how frustrating it can be to try and get your heart issues diagnosed but just keep at it if your symptoms persist or get worse.  Do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Thank you both for your quick responses!  Dababa, your response wasn't confusing at all, and it put some reassurance in me as well!  I hope everything goes well with your health and your pregnancy! Michelle, so far when I have these episodes my heart stays at a constant 80-83 BPM and I haven't had any shortness of breath or dizziness or passing out (yet! haha).  Surprisingly today I haven't had many episodes, but I did call my PCP and I'll be picking up a Holter heart monitor on Monday morning.  I hope they'll be able to catch it.  I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again!