Heart Rate
A question for the gurus here in the Heart Rhythm Forum. I've been between jobs taking a little time off so I've stepped up my exercise in the past 6 weeks or so. I went from my normal routine that maxed out around 6 - 7 mets to getting a max met rate between 8 - 10 mets which is still comfortable for me. This takes me from 80% of my MHR to about 90%. Since I started, I have watched my resting heart rate go from low 70's to where I am now in the low 60's. One other factor, since I'm at home I take my BP and HR in the morning where before I would take it in the evening before I worked out.

So, could the increase in exercise account for the drop in resting HR or do you think it's more because I'm taking it in the morning?

thanks!

Jon
Hey, Jon....You are a bit technical with your question and I am not going to say I can answer it "technically" but when you work out and get conditioned, it is probable that your resting HR will decrease.  It also could be the time you're taking it.  I know I take mine at different times and it ranges between 58 and 78 on any given day, at any given time.  As long as it's beating, I'm happy.....:)  

PS.  Everyone's HR varies during the day AND while you sleep!
Hi Jon!

My HR varies through the day, usually with stress levels, food, drink, etc. but usually it goes like this:

07.30 (still in bed): 45-50 BPM
08.00 (after shower) 60 BPM (seems hot water dilates the blood vessels some)
08.30 (on my way to work) 50 BPM
10.00 (before lunch) 60 BPM
12.00 (after lunch) 75 BPM
14.00 65 BPM
17.00 (after work) 60 BPM
18.30 (after dinner) 75 BPM
20.00 70 BPM
23.00 (before sleep) 55 BPM

I never get my HR down to the same levels as in the morning, even in the evening.

I should add that my HR can dip to 35 BPM during sleep (measured on Holter).

My BP is not at the lowest in bed at 07.30. It may be that I get somewhat annoyed by the early wake up, it's usually 115/65 at that time. If I can sleep to 10.30 on Saturdays, I can get measurings down to 95/55. At night before sleep it's sometimes 100/60. My BP varies greatly and is influenced by amount of salt, fluids, food, stress, etc. I also have white coat hypertension to some degree, so the measuring itself is somewhat stressful.

After exercise my HR is elevated but BP is lowered. My BP and HR also respons to temperature, and sometimes the HR and BP is inversely related, due to the fact that the heart speeds up to compensate. I think that's normal.