Heart Rhythm Community
Heart rhythm problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Heart rhythm problem

Hi, for a few years now i have been feeling off and on these big thumps in my heart. My heart is NOT beating fast, I will be doing something and all of the sudden i feel a big thump like as if my heart will come out my chest. It will calm down then boom it happens again. Yesterday i had to lay down all day cause of this. It also kinda takes my breath. I have been told that this is harmeless but it sure doesn't feel harmeless. I have read about PVC"S but doc never told me i have it, they always just say anxiety or stress, but even when i am not stressed i get it.

What can i take that stops these big beats. I so sick of this, it really drains me thinking i am going to die.

Is there any meds out there that stops these but wont lower my bp cause i have fainting problems with BP meds
Only a doctor can officially diagnose what is exactly wrong with you but it sounds like you do indeed have pvcs.  They are harmless unless you are having over 20,000 a day.  Even then they are not life threatening but whether you have only a few a day or thousands they can be annoying and bothersome.  Unfortunately there isn't much else the medical community has to offer those who have them.  BP medicine is the best bet at get the heart in regular rhythm giving the pvcs less of an opportunity to fire however, it will not completely stop the problem.  So we really just have to try and find our triggers and avoid them if you can though personally I have not been able to avoid mine.  They kind of come and go as they please but rest assured you most likely not in any mortal danger and you are not alone in your plight.  Many here can relate so you at least found a place were you can confer with others who are dealing with them as well.  However, for your own peace of mind I would go back to your doctor and see if you can get a monitor to get exactly what you have and if it turns out it is pvcs how many you are having.  The doctor can then go over what you next best steps are.  Good luck and keep us posted on how it is going.
if you've had a full cardiac workup and it shows your heart is structurally normal then there's not much you can do except take meds, have an abltion to try and rid yourself of them or try and find a trigger/cause and avoid or eliminate it

rest assured 95-99% of pvc's are benign and almost all dangerous rhythms have some sort of structural problems involved with only about 1% non structural involvement (read the dr's expert forums on heart disease & heart rhythm for more info and stats)

they're a pain, difficult to live with and make us feel like we're dying; yet we're more likely to be involved in a fatal auto accident instead of dying from an arrhythmia; so try not to let them rob you of living your life

I'm in the 1-5% with rare dangerous rhythms and I'm glad I didn't know it until 2009 and lived my life and didn't let them stop me.  Our hearts are very resilient and can handle a lot of abuse - mine stopped 4 times in one day back in August 2009 and I'm here; just a bit banged up and the worst part to me is the emotional part of dealing with them so I started seeing a psych dr which has helped.

btw I had the same bp problems and found that Inderal works well for me; the extended release is the best and doesn't give me the drops I had on the regular form so ask your dr about another med that may work better for you =)
Just wondering, i have read that magnesium pills helps stop the big pounds in the heart. For the last 2 days these big thumps jump out of no where and sometimes go out of controll (NOT BEATING FAST) its just like boom. People say its not going to kill me but damn this really scares me.

So if anyone has any input on magnesium pills and how they help would be appreciated.

did your dr do an electrolyte panel to see how your magnesium, potassium etc were? if not it may be beneficial to ask for those to be done and see what yours are. I have read others who do quite well on magnesium so if you search up top you can find some of the threads on which brands others are using

have you had a full cardiac workup? if so did you have any monitors that caught any arrhythmia's?  it's important to find out what's going on so you know how to deal with them; which is never easy.
When this all started 2 years when i was 26, When i had insurance, I went to a heart doc and he did a ultra sound on my heart and they found nothing wrong. After that i have went to the ER several times thinking that i was going to die. They put these things all over my chest, i think its called ekg or something and that found nothing. Blood work was normal. The thing is some days i will be fine even for a month but then all the sudden boom. I have been feeling symptoms in my heart since Sunday and now its Wed. It feels as if my heart is pumping normal then out of no where i will feel a huge thump that feels like a baby kicking inside a pregnate womans belly. Wierd but thats what it feels like, it also takes my breath away. I just feel so darn sick of this, I feel as if its robbing me of my life where i cant do anything. Havn't been to work all week cause of this.Anyway sorry that this is long.

You probably have benign episodic palpitations - PAC's/PVC's...  To be sure you need to have a 30 day event monitor study - a 24 hour Holter might not capture the arrhythmia.  Been there, done that and they drive me crazy as well.  Good thing is, if you have a structurally normal heart, they won't kill you.
Some days are better than others....  good luck.