Heart Rhythm Community
Heart rhythm slow but hard

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Heart rhythm slow but hard

Hi I'm 20 years old About 3 months ago I had a panic attack (worst thing I've ever had in my life) and ever since that at night time when relaxed in bed I get the weird heart beat rhythm slow but hard, weird breathing, shakes, and tingling in feat, and if I'm honest even general life just doesn't feel the same, went too doctors about it had a blood test and ECG came back results are fine and they were convinced nothing is wrong with me. I've read about it and it seems my symptoms are the same as anxiety but I'm not anxious or depressed about anything, also recently I've just experienced my first nightmare (its only happened once tho) waking up too a rapid heart beat also sometimes before i go too sleep I get what is called "paralysis sleep" where I see weird things. I eat healthy work out alot do alot of muscle building and carido and I'm in good shape. Would really love all this too stop and get on with my life.
Get on with your life :) Your heart is fine.

First, lots of weird things happen in the moment between being awake and asleep. Your body and some parts of the brain "shut down" before the rest, and during this time, you may feel paralyzed or actually hallucinate, without having psychosis or any other psychiatric disorder. Stress is making this more noticeable, because your brain don't want you to lose control and go to sleep (you have some sort of hyperawareness). This is sort of why we all experience poor sleep when being anxious, stressed or in some cases when depressed.

Your slow heart rate can have several causes. It may be a so-called vasovagal reaction, in response to blood pressure changes or other stimuli. It may also be that you for a brief time experience premature (ectopic) heart beats for each other heart beat (bigeminy). Neither are of any concern.

Nightmares are common and normal.

Again, try to move on with your life and don't pay attention to your heart or sleep :)
Hi, first thing to remember, one panic attack will not kill you or make your heart weaker or damage it!

I have severe anxiety disorder and do between 5 to 10 panic attacks a day and I'm still alive after more than 3 years in that condition.

What you describe is only anxiety related... Weird feelings in heat, numbness, slow heart rate, pounding heart beat. I know that you can worry but you only had 1 panic attack and almost everyone will have one in their life.

If you are very worry about your symptoms to see your Doc and explain what happen to him. He will choose the best option for you, can be an antidepressant to control your anxiety, can be CBT therapy...

So you are not alone with the same problem and I'm not a Doc but I'm sure you will not die from that heart symptoms or nightmares at night.

Just try to relax and don't worry about your symptoms, if so it will make things worse in the longtime,Iike what I live now...

Tak care -:)
One of the really bad things about panic attacks, is that they tend to continue, before they stop.  You had one big one, and now you're having them nightly, even though to a lesser degree.  While they are happening, you will be absolutely convinced you're having a heart attack.  THIS ISN'T REALITY, however.

I strongly suggest you see your doc or a mental health professional to help you deal with the panic attacks  - either with meds, therapy, or both.
I have seen hallucinations sometimes. Some years ago (?) I had a period of wake dreams. Again, on January 1st, this year, when I had some flu, slight fever,  I saw a hallucination. Then on January 6 I got atrial fibrillation when I was sleeping early in the morning. Possibly I had a bad infection.

I see my hallucinations when I am in bed eg. watching on TV. At the same time I know what they are speaking on the TV and I am creating another film inside my head. I do not always remember the hallucinations later, if I do not aim to remember them. In Janury I intentionally stored the film to my memory. Thus I remember what people were discussing on the TV and what happened in my own film.
I don't worry about my awake dreams.