Heart stops mid-beat. What is this?
Starting when I was in high school, while I would lie on my stomach to study. I would be relaxed and non-stressed. My heart would stop mid-beat for about 1 long second. The longer it would stop, the more it would hurt. It felt like it was very stressed or straining. After it resolved the beat, it would continue to beat normally. This would happen several times per year and gradually decrease over the years. I talked to a doctor about it when I was in high school. I did a stress test and an EKG. They said everything was normal, and unless it happened during the EKG, they couldn't tell me anything about it. It would also happen while I was sitting. I'm 35 now, and it still happens about once a year. I've checked other posts about this issue, but no one else ever mentioned the pain. When it does happen, it is a little frightening until my heart resumes normal beating. I am concerned about this. Is anyone familiar with this issue? For something that happens so rarely and unpredictably, is there anything my doctor can do?
I think everyone experiences an occasional sinus pause.  Typically, a pause of your stated duration is usually benign.  Folks with pauses of three seconds or more usually have something that needs to be looked at more carefully.  I suspect that the position you were in casued an internal pressure change which caused your heart to react.  I had one a number of years ago which lasted about two seconds, without any pain; I was merely standing at the time.  It was quite an interesting feeling especially since I seem to be attune to my heart after having a cardiac "situation" for nearly all of my life.  The sudden stillness was really disconcerting; a very strange, quiet feeling.  It didn't last long enough to casue dizziness or syncope.  If you have a normal EKG, I'd say listen to your physician's advice that all is ok.
Thank you very much, Tom. I always wondered about the idea that it usually happened when I was lying on my stomach and that might have had something to do with it, but it would also happen while I was sitting or standing as well in later years. However, it never happened for more than a second, and more accurately, I think 1/2 a second is how long they would last. To my recollection, they all lasted about the same amount of time. It was just very concerning. I feel much better after hearing from someone who knows something about it. Thanks again.
Could be PVC or PAC