Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Heart
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Heart

I feel like my heart is coming out of my chest!  I don't know what it is Does it have something to do with caffeine?  I only drink about 3 cups of coffee in the morning and there not always full  and then I try to drink water the rest of the day.  I do smoke would that have something to do with it?  It just started about 3 weeks ago and it really bothers me  I would just be sitting there and you can feel it skip I have my husband put his hand on it to feel it and he even feels it its really bothersom Please help Its very scary thanks stacy
Related Discussions
230125_tn?1193369457
Hi Stacy,
If this is constant awareness of a pounding heart and a normal heart rate, yes it can be from caffeine, tea, chocolate, etc.  These substances increase the contractility of your heart and increase your awareness of heart beats.  When I see patients in clinic with similar concerns, I usually order a holter monitor and try to correlate the symptoms with a heart rhythm.  If the symptoms do not correlate with a heart rhythm and is constant, it is usually related to stress, anxiety, or food consumption with caffeine.

I hope this helps.
3 Comments
Blank
I feel like my heart is coming out of my chest!  I don't know what it is Does is have something to do with caffeine?  I only drink about 3 cups of coffee in the morning and there not always full and then I try to drink water the rest of the day.  I do smoke would that have something to do with it?  It just started about 3 weeks ago and it really bothers me  I would just be sitting there and you can feel it skip I have my husband put his hand on it to feel and he even feels it.  It is really bothersom  Please help its very scary thanks stacy
Blank
320155_tn?1193931507
Go to a doctor now! I went to the doctor they said i might have heart murmur!  and dont drink caffeine anymore because they said it will make it worse. so go to the doctor and check it. i cant have any caffeine i use to drink lots. But also it can be stress but just go to the doctor. a heart murmur is when your heart maybe leaking or even a hole in it and possibly death but it kind of depends!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank