Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Heart

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Heart

I feel like my heart is coming out of my chest!  I don't know what it is Does it have something to do with caffeine?  I only drink about 3 cups of coffee in the morning and there not always full  and then I try to drink water the rest of the day.  I do smoke would that have something to do with it?  It just started about 3 weeks ago and it really bothers me  I would just be sitting there and you can feel it skip I have my husband put his hand on it to feel it and he even feels it its really bothersom Please help Its very scary thanks stacy
Hi Stacy,
If this is constant awareness of a pounding heart and a normal heart rate, yes it can be from caffeine, tea, chocolate, etc.  These substances increase the contractility of your heart and increase your awareness of heart beats.  When I see patients in clinic with similar concerns, I usually order a holter monitor and try to correlate the symptoms with a heart rhythm.  If the symptoms do not correlate with a heart rhythm and is constant, it is usually related to stress, anxiety, or food consumption with caffeine.

I hope this helps.
I feel like my heart is coming out of my chest!  I don't know what it is Does is have something to do with caffeine?  I only drink about 3 cups of coffee in the morning and there not always full and then I try to drink water the rest of the day.  I do smoke would that have something to do with it?  It just started about 3 weeks ago and it really bothers me  I would just be sitting there and you can feel it skip I have my husband put his hand on it to feel and he even feels it.  It is really bothersom  Please help its very scary thanks stacy
Go to a doctor now! I went to the doctor they said i might have heart murmur!  and dont drink caffeine anymore because they said it will make it worse. so go to the doctor and check it. i cant have any caffeine i use to drink lots. But also it can be stress but just go to the doctor. a heart murmur is when your heart maybe leaking or even a hole in it and possibly death but it kind of depends!