Heart Rhythm Community
High blood pressure and low pulse rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

High blood pressure and low pulse rate

Hi Everyone,
                  First of all, i'm having not well controled anxiety disorders now (social phobia, panic disorder with agoraphobia, general anxiety, depression).

After a painfull surgery, I start having a very weird arrhytmia problem as well as high blood pressure. It was 8 months ago.

Before that surgery, I always had a normal blood pressure with fast pulse rate because of the anxiety.

Since the last 8 months, I start experiencing strange heart pulse rate (mostly low pulse rate when I get anxious, insistead of the high pulse rate that I had before). What I don't find normal is that my blood pressure is now all the time high (140/90 and more) with a low pulse rate of 50-55. I have no energy, can't exercise, have pins and needles sensations in my left arm, left leg and chest pain as well as jaw pain and strange headache behind my eyes.

I meet a Cardiologist and he RX some tests to me. I first had severals EKG in the past year and all of them was normal. I also had the holter 24h test as well as a stress test with ultrasound of the heart to see if I had problems with my heart valves as well as normal increase of the pulse rate when I my heart need to work harder (treadmill stress test). The Cardiologist find nothing wrong with my heart and think that all my symptoms are linked to my anxiety level (low pulse rate, dizziness and high blood pressure, pins and needles and numbness sensations).

Is it normal to have high blood pressure with low pulse rate. Also, is it normal to feel like I have no energy all the time, even if I sleep 7 hours by night and do a nap at daytime?

I always feel my heart beat in my chest now, I never was like that before and never felt it.

I also have not stable pulse rate, I mean that sometimes my heart skip a beat or two... OR i'm having strong palpitations, my heart can go fast for 10 seconds and go slow or really slow and start again to go fast and slow without any good reason...

So is it just my anxiety or I should ask for other tests from my Cardiologist???

Thanks for your answer!
First off you need to make yourself relax a little Vince and accept the fact tht your tests all came back great!!!  So that is a major plus here....as far as what the doc said about the anxiety i have to agree with him/her.  You are definately exhibiting signs of anxiety that all of us on this site have felt at one time or another.  To me the big thing that you have to do that we all had to learn is to trust your doctor.  I know it feels like you ar waiting for a bomb to go off but from  what you've posted you will be waiting a verrryyyyy long time my friend.  I know its hard when anything happens with our hearts we have all been there and done that and i found what works best for me is diversion.  When i started feeling something i would find something to do to divert myself so i wouldn't think about my heart.  Its normal to feel your heart from time to time its just letting you know that its still there doing its job.  As far as your blood pressure goes it is borderline high but anthing can cause that....worry , stress, too much salt, caffeine...the list goes on and on and on.  Unless something different pops up with you i would start learning to adapt my lifestyle a little and move back into the living if possible.  I know its hard but you are young and have a lot of life ahead of you and need to get a grip on this sooner rather than later.  You have to remember YOU have anxiety it doesn't have you....big difference there my friend.  Good luck to you and we are all here for you....
Wow i have all of the very same symptoms u have and have had all the same tests.   good to know we are not crazy or imagining it.  I believe mine is stress related...job..spiritual life..no personal life....I intend to fight my way back to great health!!!! WE CAN DO IT!!!
I am in a similar boat.  I am 54.  All the same symptoms.  It's the pain in my left arm that is a fear and a nuisance.  No one can explain it.  I went to a neurologist - no diagnosis.  Everyone says I'm fine.  But, I'm not.  I've visited a therapist for 6 weeks to try to relieve the anxiety--but, it's not working.  I've tried various sleep and anti-anxiety drugs and I hate them, now I take nothing.  I never felt worse taking them.

I feel I am on my own and on a journey to an early death.
I too found out the same thing today, high bp pulse 47. I have arthritis in the right shoulder, carpal tunnel rt hand, knee spurs rt knee. Any connection?
I'm 73 but an in pretty good health with the exception of very poor balance. If I bend way down I might just go on a fall down. Heart hate 57, BP 157 over 82. Can anyone help?
my husband was at the doctor and he said my husband has high blood pressure and LOW pulse.it is in the 30's and 40's most of the time. the pulse and blood pressure changes on a daily bases.then he also has high cholesterol . he had two back surgeries one in front and one in the back. sense then he does a lot of gasping sounds. awake and some time asleep.
Does anyone else have these symptoms ?
He obviously has been to a doctor to know some of his vitals but has he seen a cardiologist?  If not he may want to get evaluated to make sure there isn't a heart issue.  The gasping is probably something that should be evaluated.  I assume he is taking bp meds?  If so did this slow rate occur after he started taking them?  It could be that the meds are too strong but again this needs to be evaluated by a doctor.  Maybe he needs to switch meds.  Take care and keep us posted on how he is doing.
Patsy

I agree with Michelle.  I think your husband should probably consult a cardiologist.  Heart rate and blood pressure change all day long.  A heart rate of 30 to 40 is low.  Some drugs, beta blockers,  deliberately lower heart rate some.  

good luck
****  
I am 53 and have all the same symptoms you all do.....have you considered you may have fibromyalgia?  It has all the symptoms we are experiencing.  I just got home from my doctor today...he did a EKG and all was fine, but my bp was 145/80 and pulse 52.