Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Hissing sound in my head

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Hissing sound in my head
I am in my early 60s, and I have high blood pressure (genetic) and low potassium ( I am on a supplement now).  I hear my heart pounding and hear a hissing sound in my head when I am under stress or stimulus, but when I am relaxed I still hear the hissing noise.  I am aware of the symptoms of low potassium (eg irregular heartbeat), but this constant hissing sound is something that my doctor and I can't figure out.  Can you please provide some insight into this.  thank you.
I am not sure what to say about this one.  Have you had your hearing evaluated? Tinnitus can cause symptoms like this well -- ringing in the ears.  This is a bit outside my specialty.
It may be a form of tinnitus. I used to think tinnitus was just ringing in the ears but I read recently it can be almost any kind of (annoying) noise in the ears. Do you take aspirin? I get a high pitched hum in one ear occasionally that lasts a few seconds then fades away. But yours sounds ongoing.

I can also hear my heart beating in my ears when I'm retaining too much fluid. It's more noticeable at night  when I'm most bloated and when I'm trying to get to sleep. Figures. But I can usually avoid this by being very careful in what I eat during the day. I don't have heart  "disease" but I've found a low sodium diet makes me feel a lot better over all.
Hi I have tinnitus a high buzzing in right ear nearly all the time.  I have high blood pressure, dual pacemaker but am 40 I find music played low volume eases the sound.  Wind (blowing outside kind) makes it much worse.
Thanks.  Your comments make a lot of sense!
I have a constant buxxing in my head all the time.  During the day if there is constant noise I can not hear it, but if I am in a room with little noise it is very prominent.  I an a 58 years old.  I have had diabetes for 46 years.  I have had 12 stints put in the arteries in my heart and 9 in my legs.  I had a quadtriple by pass done in 2006.  I went through hyperbaric treatments for 3 months this year.  This buzzing keeps me from hearing people.  Is there anything that can be done for this?
Either it's tinnitus (with a obscure cause, but generally not detectable by someone else and involving the inner ear mechanisms/nervous system), or it's something physical, outside the ear, and possibly detectable by someone other than yourself.  If it's in this latter cateory, you might want to check out AVMs (Google).  I know of several people who have this condition...atrioventricular malformation....a situation wherein small arteries are directly connected to small veins (without the usual intermediacy of capillaries)...this results in turbulent blood flow.  When located close to the inner ear, you can hear it as a pulsating hissing sound.  Hope this helps.  -Arthur
A related discussion, Hissing Sound was started.
A related discussion, hissing sound in head was started.
A related discussion, rhythmatic whistling sound was started.
A related discussion, ringing ear or head was started.