Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Holter Results

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Holter Results

I am a 34 year old male and had a holter done recently due to palpitations and dizziness. Normotensive, thin, treated for anxiety by Klonopin 0.5 twice a day. The 24 hour holter study showed sinus rhytm through the 24 period with min, avg and max heart rates of 44, 80 &161 beats/minute resp (the last during an episode of appropriate sinus tachycardia). Several episodes of tachycardia were noted nocturnally with corresponding episodes of bradycardia. 16 episodes of nocturnal sinus tachycardia were sometimes followed by a short sinus pause with junctional escape - however maximum R-R was only 1.408. During very few episodes of bradycardia a gradual diminution and then disappearance of the P wave was observed, followed by reappearance of the P wave as the heart rate increased. 16 intermittent junctional beats were observed nocturnally.

2 supraventricular beats. There were no supraventricular couplets or runs of SVT. No ventricular arrhythmias were noted.

No significant ST changes were noted and no apparent ischemic events noted during any episode of sinus tachycardia.

My questions:
1. What does this mean?
2. Does it need to be treated?
3. How can it be treated?
1. What does this mean?

This is a very normal Holter result.  The episodes of fast heart rates at night are not "normal" per say, but if they are narrow complex they are absolutely not dangerous.  There was not mention of non sustained VT, so it is safe to assume that this is not dangerous if you transcribed the results of your Holter as written above.

If you had episodes of the palpitations, you can be reassured that it is not dangerous.  If you did not have episodes of palpitations during the monitor period, you still do not know what is causing the palpitations.

2. Does it need to be treated?

Nothing on the interpretation of the above holter requires treatment.

3. How can it be treated?

There is no reason to treat the above results unless there is something that was not mentioned.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for the answers. A few more questions If I may:

1. What could be the underlying cause for sinus Tachycardia (upto 120-130 bpm) at night alternating with Bradycardia?
2. What could be causing the sinus pause?
3. Could this be Autonomic Dysfunction, Sick Sinus Syndrome or just "stress"?
4. Could this be progressive?

The only reason I ask is because this leaves me tired during the day. Thanks!
A related discussion, Holter Monitor Results and Skipped Beats was started.