How do i know for sure if i have atrial fibrillation please?
My dad has it and i know its not hereditory.
May be symptom of antidepressants, have weaned off them now, but has only been about a week though since totally stopped them.
Have irregular pulse but it comes and goes, can be fast, or slow with few fast beats or very slow and weak.
Sometimes i feel normal and think its gone then i get the familiar feeling in my chest that lets me know my pulse is irregular, when its fast i get jelly legs.
I am tired a lot and get breathless.
May take 3 months for cardiology appointment as i never had an episode during ecg and 24 hr tape, was just fast.
The doctor has felt it fast and has also felt it irregular twice, as have i and my family on many occasions.

Please advise. Thanks.

Yvonne x
Hi Yvonne....i read your post.....atrial fib is a funny little animal for any of us to deal with.  Believe it or not some people have it and never even feel it which is amazing to me because when i had it it was like a crazy dance going on in my chest along with everything else.  You are right atrial fib is not hereditary at all..each heart is individual.  I don't understand why it would take three months to see a heart doc...i would just keep calling and calling becaue usually when we have issues w. our health and the heart is involved we get in pretty darn fast.  You do have some red flags with what you are posting but some of it could definately be emotionally based but that is for a doc to tell you not me after they have examined you.  This could very well be a part of coming off of the psychotropics that you were on and coming off of but if it had me worried and i had to wait three months i would probably just make an appt. w. my family doc to make sure everything is okay...good luck
First, I'd suggest you discuss with your primary care doctor (I hope that doesn't take 3 months) taking an aspirin a day.  This will provide some reduction in clot risk that is associated with AFib.  If the aspirin doesn't upset your stomach, it should do any harm, still aspirin should not be taken long term without discussing with your doctor.

I understand from other posts from the UK and form Canada, the long delay to see a cardiologist is typical in those countries and is due, I believe, to the government managed medical system.  We may see the same here in the USA as a new "health care" bill was approved this year that will move us toward a system more like the UK/Canada... and others.
Thanks for your advice, i hope it is the meds but that presents its own problems with the depression. I'm best to tackle one issue at a time though.

I may need to try make an appointment with my GP to try put a rush on my cardiology appointment. She has been very good so far which is why I am surprised that the fact she felt the irregularity that she didn't referr me for a 48 hour tape or push for a quicker appointment.

Yvonne x