Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
How long to stay on Tykosin

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

How long to stay on Tykosin

My 85yr old father has been on Tykosin for 6 years now. He had one isolated event of A-fib for which he was hospitalized to correct the situation, and put on coumadin and Tykosin. He has never had any other symptoms of A-fib, has never been diagnosed with any other indicators of heart disease, and his BP is well controlled with drugs. Unfortunately, he has virtually no strength in his legs, constant leg-hip-back pain, urinary and bowel incontinence, and very limited energy. Due to his age and these many symptoms than reduce his comfort (and quality of life, QoL) I would like to see him avoid any prescription drugs that are not absolutely necessary in order to reduce the number of uncomfortable symptoms he has to deal with. In fact, I suspect that some of his symptoms would improve or go away if he didn't have to take drugs that are known to cause them - like Tykosin. I heard Tykosin is usually only effective for 2 years. Dad's doctor has never done anything to test whether he should still take it; his response is always "Well, no signs of A-fib so let's leave you on it." That doesn't seem like a very thoughtful approach. Can you give me some direction? Should Dad stop taking it to see what happens? Should we make a case to stop it with the doctor? I'm at a loss for what to do, but there must be something because Dad's QoL continues to decline every day. Thank you so much.
Tags: Tykosin
If he had a single episodes of atrial fibrillation and has not had it since, if it were my patient I would stop the tikosyn.  the worse case scenario is a recurrence of atrial fibrillation.

I agree there comes a point when the QOL is so low that it is not worth taking medications like that.  It is a very personal decision.  I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your doctor before stopping any medications.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my question and provide a perspective! I'm going to make my case to and for my Dad.
A related discussion, Treatment of Atrial Fib was started.
A related discussion, my mom stopped taking her tikosyn was started.
A related discussion, Warfarin Versus Aspirin was started.