Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
How long to stay on Tykosin
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How long to stay on Tykosin

My 85yr old father has been on Tykosin for 6 years now. He had one isolated event of A-fib for which he was hospitalized to correct the situation, and put on coumadin and Tykosin. He has never had any other symptoms of A-fib, has never been diagnosed with any other indicators of heart disease, and his BP is well controlled with drugs. Unfortunately, he has virtually no strength in his legs, constant leg-hip-back pain, urinary and bowel incontinence, and very limited energy. Due to his age and these many symptoms than reduce his comfort (and quality of life, QoL) I would like to see him avoid any prescription drugs that are not absolutely necessary in order to reduce the number of uncomfortable symptoms he has to deal with. In fact, I suspect that some of his symptoms would improve or go away if he didn't have to take drugs that are known to cause them - like Tykosin. I heard Tykosin is usually only effective for 2 years. Dad's doctor has never done anything to test whether he should still take it; his response is always "Well, no signs of A-fib so let's leave you on it." That doesn't seem like a very thoughtful approach. Can you give me some direction? Should Dad stop taking it to see what happens? Should we make a case to stop it with the doctor? I'm at a loss for what to do, but there must be something because Dad's QoL continues to decline every day. Thank you so much.
Tags: Tykosin