How will my mother feel when her pacemaker battery dies next month?
My mother has been paced over the last nine years (the battery in her second unit should die early in May).  She is paced 100% of the time but is not dependent on it.  But even with the pacemaker and oxygen, she is only able to move around the house a small amount.  I am wondering how much less she will be able to do once the battery ceases to function.  Will she still be able to move about the house or will she be more tired than she is already?
Is there a reason she is letting the battery die? I am paced most of the time and feel awful when not paced. My own heart rate goes down in the 40s and I feel wobbly, shaky, like I can't even walk. After being paced for 9 years, I am wondering why the pacemaker is not being replaced.
She is not a candidate for the surgery due to her other health problems.
I understand the battery replacement is a rather minor surgery.  Seems strange to me her doctor would say she is not a candidate "due to her other health problems".  I would push for a reconsideration by the doctor as it reads like she may be stuck in bed without the help of the pacemaker.  This is not a diagnosis or even a statement from experience, just and encouragement to be sure the doctor does his/her best to keep your mother's quality of life as high as possible.