IST, atrial flutter and long term side effects of tachycardia
Hi there!

I'm a 22 year old who, up until about 6 months ago, was pretty healthy. About six months ago, I started having palpitations. The rate varied between 130 and 190 Bon. After a long, long process, I finally had an eps and was told I have a combination of inappropriate sinus tachycardia (IST) and some sort of atrial arrythmia, most probably atrial flutter. I have to go back and have another eps in feb to have a sinus node modification and ablation of theateial abberant pathway. Until then, however, I am on medication, but the medication doesn't seem to be working. My resting heart Rae us usually between 110 to 130. I am getting frequent chest pains, and the coralan is giving me severesl PVC's a day. As well as this I am now having palpitations that shoot up quickly, about three times a week. These palpitations can be as high as 220 bpm. The cardiologist I see isn't too worried, but I'm just worried about what this constant tachycardia is doing to my heart. Could anyone tell me if having such a high constant heart rate might be doing to my poor overworked heart? :-p
I defer to your doctor's expertise, but I think you HR is too high and would ask the doctor if he/she can increase you medication level to get you resting HR below 100.   That said, at your age I doubt that short (timewise) bouts of HR in the 200 range isn't likely to damage anything.  Here I am reading what I think you doctor is telling you.  Still, I'd ask for more help in getting the HR down while waiting the ablation.

If you are not on an anticoagulant, I'd ask the doctor if it is all right to take a regular dose aspirin a day... this will provide some clot protection if the atrial activity should have any fibrillation components.

Wishing you the best of results from the planned ablation,