Heart Rhythm Community
Idiopathic V-Tach

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Idiopathic V-Tach

I'm a 24 yr old male. Echo, stress test, stress echo, holter, and event monitors have all been normal besides "PVC's and a 26 beat run of ventricular tachycardia at 127bpms that self terminated". I seen an EP today and he said that he thought it to be benign and called it Idiopathic Ventricular Tachycardia and I started asking questions and he said that just to be safe he wants to do an EP study next week. Can you explain an EP study? How safe are they to do? If he triggers a deadly arrythmia can they easily terminate it and keep me safe? What if he has to do an ablation, how safe is that? Just how benign is "Idiopathic Ventricular Tachycardia"? Can it develop into V-Fib? How bad is it to have a 26 beat run of v-tach?? Can you share your personal experiences and opinions? I also have been experiencing what feels like angina for about 2 yrs now and thats why I had the whole work up but all the test for that came back negative. ??
i also found on my copy of the cardionet report it says sinus rhythm with IVCD (Intraventricular Conduction Delay) and on the Diagnosis part it says (ICD-9): 426.9 conduction disorder, unspecified. sinus rhythm with IVCD shows like 3 different times on the report.  and 3 different times had ventricular tachycardia 25 beats, rate 124BPM, all the v-tach reports had 25beat runs with the highest rate 125BPM.  does any of this offer any additional info for this v-tach maybe not being benign?  does the IVCD pose more risk to SCD or v-fib with since i had documented v-tach?  
Hello, I answer here instead of your message.

1) You've posted the exact similar question in another post (questions about IVT and Vfib).

2) IVCD = widened QRS complex, without LBBB or RBBB. As far as i know it doesn't cause or worsen ventricular tachycardia. You should ask your doctor, and you're going to do an EP study in a couple of days. The doctor will answer your questions (if he haven't already).

Just a little fun fact: Holter monitors possibly interpret tachycardia in the setting of IVCD or LBBB (and possibly RBBB) as ventricular tachycardia, when it in fact is sinus tachycardia or junctional tachycardia.
hello, my dad had a minor heart attack two 1/2 years ago, he was fit and healthy normal cholesterol and not overweight, so they put it down to years of stress due to arguing, anyway he did a big decking job for a doctor and he told my dad that loads of people dont pass the treadmill test in fact its fatal for them cuz they drop dead, why dont they tell us this and leave us to find out the hard way? im just warning people about this, i assume they must have very weak hearts for this to happen
An EP study is where the doctor will try to stimulate your heart to produce arrhythmia`s. The test is usually done in a cath lab but instead of going through a artery they go through a vein. The test should be able to tell the doctor where the arrhythmia is starting or coming from.

When I had the test done my heart went into v-fib in a split second. After my test the doctors did not use the word benign anymore. I had to have an ICD implanted the next day, I was 28 years old at the time.  An older gentleman had the test before me and they were unable to produce any arrhythmia`s.

As far as a wide QRS my doctors take that very serious. For me they say I resemble long Q T syndrome but do not have it. I do not have right or left bundle block.

Try not to worry about the EP study, It should answer a lot of your questions when you get the results.
I found this article at www.orlive.com

The patient is a middle aged male who was resuscitated from a VF cardiac arrest.  Extensive cardiac evaluation showed no coronary artery disease, normal left and right ventricular function, normal cardiac MRI, and no inducible arrhythmias at EP study.  Frequent PVCs were noted on cardiac monitoring.  An ICD was implanted and continued to record episodes of non-sustained polymorphic VT, culminating in a sustained episode terminated by a shock.  Catheter ablation was performed targeting the ventricular ectopy

How can they call "Idiopathic Ventricular Tachycardia" benign if these types of cases are occuring? Dr's say that PVC's are benign and "V-Tach" is benign in a structurally normal heart and with all the test this man had proved his heart was "structurally normal" yet he still suffered cardiac arrest due to V-Fibb.  Anyone have any inputs on this situation?
?
All surgeries carry risks.  An EP study carries the risk of bleeding, heart perforation (or basically nicking the heart), and of course cardiac arrest.  It is possible that a lethal arrhythmia is started that they can not reconvert.  However, EP studies are for the most part safe.  One site written by a doctor says an EP study carries about a risk of 1 and 500 of developing a serious complication like cardiac arrest.  Unless the doctor really thought I was in need of it, I probably wouldnt do it.  
You can find anything you want on the internet.  Before you believe it be sure it' a reliable source.  And anomalies happen.  You have to have some trust in your doctors, quit looking for something to back up your worse case scenarios and go on with your life.  Nobody knows when they are going to die and worrying so much only makes you miserable.  There was a house in California that fell into a huge sinkhole and the family disappeared.  Are you going to worry yourself sick about your house falling into a sinkhole?  You need to take each day you are given and not waste it with worry.  You can't get any of that time back.  
Cookie!  Don't fret.  I have benign vtach as well and I have had this for years and years.  I have had two EP studies and they are really nothing.  They could not make my heart go in to vtach so they just quit the study and sent me on my way.  Don't fret.  There is really nothing to them.
could it be Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia/Cardiomyopathy? how would that be diagnosed? would that fit my symptoms of chest pain and the PVC's and VT and other symptoms that I feel? if a dangerous arrythmia (V-Fib) is triggered during EP study, how often is it converted back to normal and what are the chances of death resulting from this test? im REALLY concerned about could it be Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia/Cardiomyopathy!!
I went for a treadmill stress test the other day .doc found a couple of times when bpm were over 150 a run of 4pvc. everything i looked up point to v tach. could this be benign or another explaination. He scheduled me for a nuclear test on monday. any help?
hey I found out I had nsvt on my hoilter just from reviewing it. the doc did not even mention it to me. ? it's effed up. because its true. it is dangerous. but I have stressed myself so long about this I'm. tired. and I have other health issues going on. I'm not even considered healthy. don't let yourself down. I guess they are right. if we die we die what can be done. I'm only 27.