Heart Rhythm Community
Increase in PVC's???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Increase in PVC's???

My PVC's started about 3 or 4 months ago. They were random events, happening about once every few weeks lasting about 2 hours in duration each time. The last few weeks they have been happening more often. I now get them several times a week. The thing that worries me is that the episodes are now lasting up to 9 or 10 hours, meaning runs of PVC's, bigemy, etc. the whole time. My heart checked out fine in the past. I do have high cholesterol which runs in my family which I am currently taking meds for. My question is, is this new pattern of increased PVC's something to worry about and should I now consider a Beta Blocker on a as needed basis. I also seem to notice the PVC's seem to be triggered by an increased heart rate like walking up stairs after I've eaten. I can't seem to figure out any other type of triggers which may contribute to this new increase in episodes.
PVC's seem to have a mind of there own you can be doing everything right and not stressed having a wonderful day and bingo here they start. I believe once we have one or 2 we start to worry then our day is shot , it's a long road I have had them for 20 years now and because I let them bother me even after all the insurance from dr. its not going to kill you it's just a hick up .I still react in fear and think This time its differant I need to be checked it more or feels differant , I'm not sure how old you are but I beg you ignore them! If you let it they will ruin your life ! keep doing healthy things no caffine ,exercise ,eat healthy read up on vitamins that help , and then help someone else on here that is suffering with what you been thru . also check hypoglycmia, anxiety, and thyriod .hope that helps dont worry juust get into action good luck L
I recently went to the doctor and he gave me an EKG, CBC, thyroid test and he listened to my heart and luckily for me, my heart skipped a beat while he was listening. All test came back normal and he told me that they are benign. He gave me some beta blockers for when I get a run of them that last for long periods of time. The next morning when I got home from work and laid down, I did a little experiment. I started to get a run of them and it felt like my chest was out of control. I even felt like the bottom was dropping out of my chest but instaed of freaking out and moving, I stayed still and calm to see just what would take place. It was very disturbing but I am still alive And now when I have them, I consider them annoying as hiccups. I dont freak out on them anymore but don't get me wrong it's still unnerving because I am learning to deal with them. I hope that I stop feeling them and I hope that everyone that has them stops feeling them. Stop concentrating on them beacuse they will bring on panic attack symptoms and you will think its your heart. Good luck.
Every time I feel new variations of pvc patterns I think I have to run off to the doctor.  If I can do anything for you  here, it is to tell you not to worry if your heart has been checked out.  These things come in all types of patterns and it just doesn't matter.  Anxiety and worrying about it makes them ten times worse (for me anyway).   Every few years something new happens with me.  Like this year, they increased from about 60/day to almost 300/day and they came in clusters like yours.  I would get half of that amount in 2 or 3 hours then nothing for hours then at bedtime they would start up again.  It scared me to death and off to the doctor I went.  48 hours later after a holter, ekg, and doctor visit which will set me back about $500.00 (even with insurance) I am told that I am fine.  You are fine too.  My heart has since settled down (knock on wood) and I'm back to just 10 or so a day that I feel.  PVC's have a mind of their own and they must run their course.  If you don't feed them with anxiety then they will diminish sooner rather than later.
I'm thankful for every day that they aren't out of control because I feel every single one of them.
Be well
Frenchie
I can well relate to your feelings. Today, for example, I was talking on the phone with a friend, well, I had a few rumbly type of PVC's and they scared me so much I do not even remember the rest of our talk and I was in a state of anxiety the rest of the time. When I hung up, I wanted to cry. Now, I have allowed them to ruin my day because I am sitting here checking my pulse and feeling just awful and thinking to myself that those flutters were different and I am in trouble. I wish I could shake this and the anxiety is not helping.

So, do NOT be like me, what Frenchie says is true, and as long as we let them be our "leader" we will go through this.

Hugs
Susie
Gosh, can I relate to all of you?If it makes you feel better, I am 62, have had PVC's for decades...most days are filled with runs, and all kinds of weird heart palps. I have been told that they are benign and that my heart is normal otherwise, that I just have an electrical prob I still have much anxiety from them. I have Xanax on hand to take if things get too frightening but I hate taking anything and really into a healthy lifestyle. It just does not matter what I do....the PVC's are still a part of my life  I just wish I knew what triggered them. So, I feel your pain and understand how agitated these things can make you. I did have an ablation in 1993 for an extra pathway and the PVC's and PAC's have  been much worse since then so I have always wondered if that caused the palps?? My cardiologists do not have an opinion about that and I have not been back to the dr. who did the ablation b/c we moved.
I am near Charlotte, NC, new to this area and do not really like my EP's  bedside manner so I am looking for someone else.
Wish you well~~~~~
hey there,, on my l;ast holter i had 175 pvc's in 48 hrs.. my ep thought that was pretty good.. is it really, god i don't know
louise
well I had 277 in 24 hours and my doctor said it wasn't that many.  Compared to you 87 or 88 in 24 hours I suppose you really have nothing to worry about!
Frenchie
Oh gosh, if only I had that many per day....on the 24 hr mon that I have had over the years thousands show up...today has not been bad so far but Tues, I had 'clusters (bigeminy, trigiminey) that went on from 8am to 8pm..I was ready to scream. IF only there was something that I could do. My EP says that ablations do not work for PVC's/pAC's and that there is just not medication that suppresses them.  I have treid various supplements to no avail.
Good luck everyone!!!!! I feel your pain!!!!
I only have PVC's after I eat and only a few times a week depending on how my stomach is doing. When I go to work in the morning on an empty stomach, I go up the flight of stairs no problem. When I go back after lunch and climb the stairs on a full stomach, my heart rate increases to about 100. I noticed I would then have PVC's. It took me a while to figure this out, but I would always get them as soon as I sat down. I also noticed I would get PVC's when I put my shoes on. It turns out that anything that causes my stomach to push into my chest cavity causes my PVC's after I eat. I look kinda weird putting my shoes on now, but I have figured out how to put them on with my leg somewhat extended. Thank God for long arms. I also don't sit down for about 5 minutes after climbing the stairs at work. Then when I sit down I don't get PVC's. You may want to see if sitting down triggers yours. If you find out it does, don't sit down for a while. If you need, I can send you my list of excuses I give my coworkers for standing up at my desk for a while (ha). Good luck and God bless!
Well, I'm now on my seventh straight day of PVC's. I had a cardio appt. today and actually wasn't having any PVC's before the appt. I then did some jumping jacks in the parking lot and sure enough they started with avengence. I was kinda of relieved so the Dr. wouldn't think I was nuts. Well he saw something different on the EKG which caused him some alarm. I guess he saw something that resembled Brugada Syndrome. He faxed the results to his electro specialist who said the ekg didn't warrant this syndrome. I feel relieved to know this but am of course still concerned. My cardio wants to do a new nuclear stress test and holter monitor. I guess my PVC's seem to be brought on by any slight increase in my heart rate. I'll now have to wait for another series of tests and results. What a nightmare!
geez, nothing like having your doctor show concern to ignite these puppies.  Don't worry, the good news is that he sent the strip straight over the the EP doctor.  The nuclear stress test is not bad and the monitor is just annoying.  I'm sure it will all come back okay.  When do you get the monitor on?
Frenchie
You sound just like me. My nasty PVC's act up the most right after I eat or drink a large glass of water. I almost hate to eat or drink anymore because I know they will soon be on the way. I, too, get them when I sit, or bend down or anything that puts stress on my stomach. My chiropractor says it is my hiatal hernia causing the problem and so does my doctor. Well, whatever it is, I hate them.

I will be wearing a 24 holter monitor this coming Tuesday, the 17, and I am going to do everything I can think of to make them act up, that should not be too difficult however, all I need to do is eat, have some water, then bend down and I will be off to the races, I will also exercise after as this causes flutters too.

Ugh, cannot have any fun anymore.

Thanks for sharing your story, it just goes to show that we are not the only ones who experience these things after meals and such.
What other symptoms do you have with your hiatal hernia? I have not been diagnosed with that, but have seen other people on this sight that have that. I have been having an upset stomach every three to four days that. My doc gave me Nexium, but I have not started taking it. I have been eating Tums like popcorn.
My extra beats started about 5 months ago and I've had them every day since then.  I was going through a lot of stress at the time and found this forum while trying to find out what was going on with my heart.  It is reassuring to know that other people have the same problem, and also sad that so many suffer so much.

I started taking Co Q10, magnesium, and fish oil after reading that these things might help, and they did !  I finally had a physical in January and my family doctor was able to catch the extra beat while listening to my heart.  He said it was nothing to worry about, but ordered an EKG, in the office to see if we could catch it.  Of course, nothing happened while hooked up......go figure.   Everything looked good, which was very reassuring to me.  My labs came back normal for me.  My total cholesterol was 223, HDL was 90, LDL was 122 and triglicerides (triglycerides) were 62.  I have been diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism, years ago, and my TSH was 6.1 with T4 being in the normal range.  He said the thyroid could be causing my problem or my MVP could be causing it.  He didn't recommend any medication, which is fine with me because I hate taking anything.  I asked him if I was taking any suppliments that I shouldn't be taking and he said no.

After reading so much and going by my own experience, I believe that anxiety plays a huge role in these arythmias.  If I'm not thinking about them.......I either don't notice them, or I'm not having them.  So, I try to stay busy and keep a positive attitude.  I don't believe they are serious and I won't let them control my life.  Having said that.....I understand that it's not easy, especially when you're scared and think you may die.  

Mostly, we all want answers.  We want to know, why me?  We want to know why this is happening and what we can do to stop it.  It just seems to me like most of us will never get the answers to our questions and that's sad.  Maybe the best thing we can do, is what we're doing right now......supporting each other and telling our stories.