Heart Rhythm Community
Increased heart flutters during menstruation and exercise

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Hi Guys,

I've posted before but failed to mention the below:

Firstly I'm 24 year female and I experience an increase of heart flutters ( extra hard heart beat) a week before my period, during and a week after after. Every month its the same thing, now I exercise atleast 4-5 times a week and I've noticed that when I'm around my period I get palps whilst exercising and sometimes it happens when I'm not menstruating. I've had numerous ECG's and I've had an echocardiogram done and all is normal. I don't smoke, don't drink I eat healthy get enough sleep but am abit over weight though I've lost a lot of weight to date 25kg/50punds. So guys please share light into why the increased palps during exercise around my menstruation. And this is not new I've been experiencing palps for about 4yrs now!! I do still get worried at every episode. Every month its the exact same thing over and over!!!

Nicky
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello. In order to get an appropriate recommendation you need to identify what kind of arrhythmia is the one that you are having. The best approach would probably be to use a loop recorder electrocardiogram (ECG) holter around your period time to record an ECG during an episode (especially when you are doing exercise). It is important for you to know that the frequency and perception of arrhythmias can be affected by different factors like stress, hormones, levels of electrolytes (i.e. potassium and magnesium) and medications. So, it is not surprising that the sensation of palpitations increase during your period.
Good luck.
Thanks for your response I really think its hormonal cause of the increase in palps. But is It normal to have palpitations during exercise some experts say yes others no not at all..I don't know hey well I've begining to come to terms with the fact that I must just accept having the palps cause its been going on for years now same story every month.. I do have anxiety as well but that developed after I experienced palps I thinks its called heart anxiety..So annoying to deal with all really panic attacks a whole new department but just have to fight it head on..The heart anxiety got me I won't lie wake up every morning thinking the same things!!