Aa
A
A
Close
Irregular heart beat
If you have an irregular heart beat, those pauses and then more forceful beats, on a regular basis......is this hard on your heart and are you more likely to have heart trouble later in life?  I have worn a holter monitor, had a stress test and echocardogram, and they say there is no problem that requires treatment.   I do have am above normal blood calcium level, and I have for years, and I wonder if that could be related.  
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
520292 tn?1232039450
My doctor says the forceful beats are only bad for your heart if you have more than 10000 per day.  He says it can lead to an enlargement of the heart.  Something tells me that those beats probably are not the greatest thing for your heart, but do to doctors bed side manner, most of them will probably tell you a little white lie.  I am sure they cause harm but probably not much significance. The doctor will not tell you the hole truth probably to keep your anxiety levels down.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
942410 tn?1274050674
Is your irregular heartbeat due to PVC'S or PAC'S or A Fib?  DId your Doc tell you? Is your Doc a Cardiologist?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
612551 tn?1450025775
Good inputs, and I'd put the emphasis on finding out what the underlying cause is if possible, otherwise try not to worry and take your doctor's input as very relevant.  That is, the few hard beats you are having are not causing damage.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Hi, read your post.  I also have PAC's and wonder the same thing.  Been almost a year now of solid every beat PAC's.  Awful.  I am wondering about your high blood calcium level.  If you also have a high PTH (parathroid hormone) along with the high calcium then you most likely should be tested for hyperparathyroidism.  This condition can cause palpitations.  good luck.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
Heart Rhythm Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703