Heart Rhythm Community
Is PVC's really just anxiety??? really???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Ok, I know we all ask this over and over. But your tests come out normal.. blood test normal.. doctor say's your normal.. your pottassium, magnisium, ect normal on blood test.. soooooo now we are at our PVC's are due to stress? and anxiety? thats all it is?

I get having anxiety and having a palp here and there. But for us.. like me, who get one every 5 minutes alllll dayyyy longggg... that is anxiety??? really!??.. thats amazing to me, and upsetting. to realize.

I remember I followed the casey anthony trial. ANd AT THIS TIME I had no pvc's for months and month and months.. maybe one every now and then, this was my " normal" time. .. They were about to read the verdict. and it was second away... the jury came in.. she stood up... annnnnddd WHAM I got Pvc after PVc, skip beat, skip, skip, skip, I was thinkiing OMG.. wow, this is too much anticipation and excitment for me!! the anxiety of the verdict gave me like 5 PVC's in a row! So with that, can I say .. " yes.. that was PVC's from anxiety??..

SO now, that I've had about 3 weeks straight of PVC's all day every day. ( calming some when I am sitting still..) and increasing when I'm moving around... Can I assume these too, although 1000times worse is also ... ANXIETY??

I want to believe that anxiety can give you months of palps all day long, so that I don't have to continue to be ready to call 911, or prepare myself that any second my heart is going to trip out and I'm going to die any second. Or the Cardiologist is going to call me and give me the bad news any day that I have heart disease, or some fatal heart condition at 34... But in my mind.. I still keep thinking the worse.

The Doctor does an EKG= normal ( I think .. " but it didn't palp during it.. so he didn't see)
The doctor draws blood = normal ( I think.. Ok, so my blood is normal but that doesn't mean my heart is ok)
The doctor see's the PVC's on Holter..= benign PVC's ( I think.. well these are benign but whats causing them could be fatal! like heart disease.. or maybe they will go from benign now.. to dangerous tomorrow!!)
The doctor does a echocardiogram.. ( hasn't given me results yet, but also hasnt called me to tell me anything bad.. ( I think.. omg I'm dying of anticipation.. what if it shows something wrong with my heart??? my echo 10 years ago was normal.. and another 6 years ago.. but maybe now its totally abnormal!!)
The doctor say's we can also do a stress test " to ease my mind" ( I think.. he just wants to do it because he too thinks maybe I'm dying but doesn't want to freak me out...)...

UGH.. I hate my mind
I think the excitement release adrenaline, which caused the PVCs to start, which scared you, which released more adrenaline, which caused more PVCs, etc.  This is a nasty and vicious cycle.  You may say, "well, there are times I'm not feeling excited, but they are still there!"  That is true, but the adrenaline kicks your heart in the butt and makes it "irritable."  

Your doctor doesn't think you're dying.  He really doesn't.  I worked in cardiac critical care.  I know what dying of heart arrhythmias presents like and this isn't it.  Trust me.  If we die of these, we will never know it.
Seriously I feel your pain. I went to my EP today. I have had years of this stuff and it just wears you down, I know. If you have the tests done then you are not going to die. This is more common than what you think. Two girls I work with have had PACs PVCs in the past two months. One had them for six weeks up to the day her daughter got married (Stress) and the other had them for five weeks I guess because of female stuff.  Anxiety is a huge trigger! I dont know why a heart doc will NEVER prescribe anxiety meds though...hmmmm. I really think you should get any test done to rule out some serious prob, because in your mind you are thinking you have some serious prob. Its the only way to convince YOU.  I know there are meds to ease your mind and there are meds to ease the palps like a beta blocker or flecainide. My PAC's that started four weeks ago (every flippin 4th and 5th beat non-stop)are now triggering SVT ev freakin night! My pulse is all ovr the flippin place and the doc tells me today to not worry about it!!!!  Somebody just knock me in the head.  ps my echo today...perfect, my blood...perfect I dont get it either.  During doc visit no palps. ast saturday I talked one of our ambulance drivers into giving me an EKG it showed the PAC's but during that time the in and out of SVT stopped. Drove back home started again. Are we all freaking crazy?
Anxiety plays a big role in my arrythmia.
I have tried valium and zanax for anxiety. It helps the anxiety but it does not prevent svt runs.
Since finding out about what all my weird beats are and yes ... all my tests are "normal" I am still nervous and anxious at times.
I do go to counselor and she said that my big svt runs have caused trauma and I have developed fears because of them.  You see I almost black out when they are pronged and fast - svt 's. Finally caught one on a holter monitor. When they first come on it feels like anxiety - they are just horrible!
As I work on letting go and notice when I feel peaceful and content (rarely)  I notice it ( instead of my health concerns ) and go ahhhh I am
noticing this peace and I like it and none of my life circumstances have changed. Just my thoughts.  Most of the time I feel like a tightly wound ball of something!
Earlier today my teenager called me to bring his basketball shoes to school. I felt my heart skip a beat and had that sinking feeling inside. Stress
and adrennaline- cause I resented him for inconveniencing my schedule.
Yes, stress makes EVERYTHING worse.
Also- the metaprolol seems to help-  somehow it blocks the adrenaline from getting to the heart. I have been on it for a month. I have read it is also used to treat anxiety.
Hang in there...  Really !... It will get better.
I am not trying to minimize this is any way, I have Afib, pac's and pvc's. I know how anxious it can make you, how hard it is to think of anything else when your heart is acting up.  One thing that might help is to try not letting your imagination run away with you.  Trust that your doctor would tell you if you had a serious problem.  If you'd feel better, get another opinion.  But going down that road of imagining "what if" is not a good idea.  It can make you crazy.  It is not always going to work, but try to focus on anything positive that you can, i.e., you're not in the hospital.   You can get a handle on this.  Be brave and keep searching for answers and exploring all the avenues you can to get through this.  I just had an incident today where we were supposed to attend a dinner, but the weather was bad, I can't walk far in the cold, etc., until my heart started acting up.  I finally decided just not to go.  I really hated to miss out, but can't always have what we want.  Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.
I still havent figured out the secret of pvc's, but i must admit that i have not had them as often as i used to since i started on some new meds. (stating i been on them a while now)- 3 weeks with 50mg -3 weeks 100mg and now on 150- (think me and the doc are taking it slowly up to the 200mg. )

But yeah..... Of course there are good periods and bad periods, so cant really conclude anything yet.
Im far from cured from my anxiety and the throughts that follow. (been having stomach issues and now a sore throat and that alone gets my thoughts running)-
But maybe the meds have helped even some things out making me less prone to pvc's.
All in all of course ill share my discovery when i feel i can conclude some fact more precisely.
You said you magnesium has been tested however a regular blood test will not tell you anything
What type of test is necessary to determine mag and other minerals?  In the hospital the blood is the only measure they have used on me.
I view it like this.  The pacer cells in your heart that cause the PVCs are in and of themselves the root cause of a PVC.    Everything else aside, it's those cells that are acting up.  This is called "enhanced automaticity".

Tthere's a bunch of other stuff that can make these already twitchy cells even more twitchy.

That can be substances in your blood such as hormones, certain drugs, caffeine, electrolyte issues.

Or, it could be activity on your central nervous system, a.k.a. autonomic nervous system.  The CNS / ANS controls things like anxiety responses, digestion, endocrine control.  It even has nerves going to your heart telling it when to slow down or speed up.  People have noticed that when the CNS acts up in other areas, such as digestion issues, they also get palps.

So, my point is, anxiety is not a root cause.  It could be a contributing factor.  The root cause is enhanced automaticity.  Other stuff can contribute to making the root cause worse.  However, in the end, the PVCs are coming from heart cells.

Also I've never seen any scientific studies that show increased anxiety = increased palps.  All the evidence is anecdotal. Even if a doc is quoting this it's not based on science.  

Another thing I try to explain (I'm not sure if people can understand this) is that there are two types of anxiety in my opinion.  There's the appropriate anxiety that we all feel in bad situations.  It belongs there, we know it.  Then there's inappropriate anxiety.  This is the CNS actually triggering certain parts of anxiety responses for no reason at all.  It's like having a pinched nerve.  it's being stimulated but for the wrong reasons.   You might not even know it's going on.   My guess is that it's a form of what's called dysautonomia.  Dysautonomia means there's something wrong with the CNS / ANS.  It's not working right for some reason.   I firmly believe that anxiety disorders and panic disorder can be a type of dysautonomia in certain situations but that's not something that's every been proven.

I hope that makes sense.

TL;DR, heart cells are the root cause for ectopic beats, the condition is called "enhanced automaticity".  Other body functions, drugs, CNS tone, emotional awareness, or chemicals can aggravate the cells to make it worse.
RNrita.. I love you! lol. YOur always so reassuring and comforting. Yes., I called my cardiologist.. the nurse told me he was reviewing my Echo.. and that he would send me a letter via mail.. I thought.. GEez.. I hope I don't get a letter in the mail saying hey.. yeah,.. you have CAD, or cardiomyaphathy or something like that... yikes..

I know., he keeps telling me I'm ok.. but he wouldn't take me up on my offer if he can come live with me and tell me I'm ok every minute of everyday.. go figure..!
Tsco.. Yes, I feel like If its my anxiety causing this.. than I am crazy. In the head for sure. .. I actually have my first psychiatrist apt tomorrow at 11am. I am covering my bases.. that if its not physical.. than I need to talk to someone .

Stress-- Check! got lots of that. Within the past three years I've lost a job, lost an apartment, credit went to hell, had viral meningitis which led to a CSF leak in my spine which I had to have a blood patch to fix which led to Vertigo which I still have today( and associate with omg its my heart causing dizziness).. To my dog passing away, to a horrible relationship and breakup.. to financial problems , bill collectors.. job issues..and to top it off a herniated disc in my back which is painful everyday. WHEW!!!! I'm exhausted rehashing all that in this paragraph.. sooooooooo yes. all the stress may have caught up with me.

But I've stopped working out.. because I don't want to increase PVC's, but I think.. duh you idiot.. hearts a muscle, if I work out maybe it will get slower and stronger.. maybe it will relieve stress. but I can't ! I'm to scared!

P>S. my cardiologist did prescribe an anti anxiety. Also atenolol, but I'm too scared to take it and keep trying natural ways to fix it. Like a stress relieving vitamin, ect... chamomile tea..
The hospital did a blood test that tested a bunch of stuff,.. RBC, WBC.. pottassium, mag, calcium.  and a bunch of other things. Then My cardiologist did the same testing for all that, thyroid, .. electrolytes.. a whole blood panel checking your blood cells, and other things. They said that if you had a virus or something affecting your heart.. it would show up.. or if you were low on Mag/ pott/ calcium.. it would show.. or if you had a thyroid issue creating palps it would show.. but mine was normal. Also blood tests cholesteral levers too
ITDOOD,

So if unappropriate anxiety( which I have in excess every single day) causes the cells that cause the pvc's to act up.. then wouldn't anxiety be something you can say "is" actually triggering them? or making them worse? I've had PVC's for over 10 years. I used to take an anti anxiety and they would go away.  I went years without ANY Pvc's at all.

I've had episodes where I'd get a skipped beat when I'm scared, or super excited.. and now that I'm getting them all the time.. I don't know.

But if almost everyone gets PVc's of some sort than are you concluding that almost everyone has these " twitchy nerves/cells"?

Please re-read idood's post.   That's the info you need.

Anxiety is not what is causing your ectopic beats, but in my personal experience, it sure doesn't help when some of your heart's cells are already twitchy.

One thing is important: understanding the way the heart beats requires some study.  It is not rocket science, but you cannot--simply cannot--'get it' from a quick glance at anything on the internet.  To understand this, you will need a calm mind--and a solid quarter in a college physiology class.

We who have odd beats generally have an abnormality--but NOT a dangerous abnormality--in the timing of the way some of our heart cells fire.  The heart is extremely adaptable and versatile, and it simply adjusts to these strange beats by changing its own timing a little to compensate.  People like us feel these corrections in timing as PVCs or other types of rhythm, but even though they feel weird, they are generally neither dangerous nor even very significant.

Concentrating on the details of how they feel or where we feel them is for the most part completely pointless.  I hope your new therapist can help you understand and accept this.
Maybe this will help you to understand. ALL people on this planet have PVCs (which are actually more often PACs). Most people are not aware of it, or if they are, they make no big deal of it and they just carrying on with their life. These premature beats are a 'back-up' system for the normal SA and AV Nodes in the heart. They are there to help keep your heart beating so they are actually a good thing! When you are stressed your body releases catacholamines into your bloodstream to prepare your body to fight or run; that's called the "Fight or Flight Response" so you will have many more premature beats kicking in to help protect you during times of stress.  
I understand what your saying.. but then why does my heart palpatate when I am extremely anxious more than when I'm laying down relaxing?

Also, why did I go 7 years with barely any, then suddenly get tons and tons? what would make them increase? why before I was 24 years old.. did I not feel any ever. ?

Just can't understand why people can get them bad. Then they go away at times.. or even years.. then come hit you full force suddenly with no changes to your body? why do they get worse and better if it has absolutely nothing to do with your anxiousness.. or stress levels?
@grendslori.. I understand that explaination more. As I understand that almost everyone has them, either cannot feel them, or feel one every now and again... as my dad say's he got them, my best friend has them spiratically, my uncle, my cousin, my sister in law, ect ect ect.. But.. nobody has admitted to me, or said that they have had them in the frequency mine have now become over the past 3 weeks. I feel up to 70 or more a day.

I know FOR A FACT, that my PVC's, not PAC's, As my doc told me I have Benign PVC's.. are definitely increased if I get excited, or really scared. Or my heartrate goes up. I know that for sure.

I just went so many years, almost a decade living fine with my spiratic ones. And now they are out of control.

So I know that a lot of people are saying no they are not connected to your anxiety disorder.. and recent huge amounts of stress your under.. but if now that , then I have to assume, that for some reason .. 3 weeks ago.  something went terribly wrong in my body, that have now made my spiratic pvc's to constant.. and it is permanant.. may get worse.. and that whatever changed them to worse is a new thing my body is dealing with.. this is what I've actually been fearing the last month.. that the reason for the increase is not anxiety but something worse
UPDATE after my psychiatrist apt. ..

So I quickly ran down my symtoms (symptoms).. and my history with him.. and within 5 minutes told me that I have anxiety disorder, and panic disorder.. duh.! lol. .. and that the pvc's are part of my panic disorder 100%.

He said all the people telling me that no, its not anxiety.. its my SNS/ and CNS isn't functioning properly.. its the vagus nerve,.. its " twitchy cells" misfiring your heart before it is supposed to, ect ect ect.. he said " yes.. and thats all conected with anxiety. Your stress and anxiety is messing up the cells that control your heart beats.. and you CNS and SNS are all connected with anxiety and panic. ..

He asked me if I've taken a beta blocker, I said I was scared to, which would just up my anxiety levels to take the meds.. so he prescribed me a bit of a stronger anti anxiety and told me to talk to a counsilor on a regular basis to get my anxiety under control
Hi -

I have been reading through your posts. I have always believed that anxiety contributes to the intensity and frequency of ectopic beats. If you do your due diligence, you will find that many members of MedHelp suffer from varying forms of anxiety. The other consistent trigger seems to be adrenaline...when confronted with varying scenarios, emotions like anger, excitement, stress, nervousness etc, will cause an increase in adrenaline levels in the body, and consequently there may be more PVC/PAC activity...Exercise usually eliminates the ectopics as the heart rate increases, but it is common to feel some premature beats during cool down as the heart rate returns to a resting rate. However, I am not convinced that anxiety is the sole culprit. There are too many individuals who have been suffering from PVC/PAC activity for years, with no reprieve. There are certainly many possible causes and triggers that precipitate PVC activity. My assumption is that those who are more likely to worry about their health find it almost impossible to ignore the sensations of PVCs, and can begin to hyper focus on them...it is a viscous cycle. The immediate anxiety that occurs after/during bad episodes of PVC/PACs intensifies the problem. Over time, learning to accept the sensations, and believe that they are truly harmless, may well reduce the frequency with which they occur...My cardiologist believes that they will subside, and/or disappear over time, once we have taught ourselves to ignore the issue (that's what happened to him in his late 30's)...

I go through waves where the PVCs are really frequent, then days when I feel very few (maybe I don't notice?) . Regardless, I do believe that managing my anxiety regarding PVCs, and managing anxiety in general, will certain help curtail the problem...

Be well,
TM
Glad you were able to figure out what your cause was. Some of us even at our age (under 40) actually might have something wrong. For a few years when I was in my early 20's the doctors kept telling me that I had an anxiety disorder, then I had a heart attack and everyone all of a sudden want to do cardiac test. I am now in heart failure and getting worst. I would say it is better to be safe and have the serious stuff ruled out than to be sorry and have doctors treat you like a nutcase until you almost die. Just my 2 cents worth
I never wanted to take an aspirin my whole life. But trust me try the drugs. It scares me too but it gets you going in the right track it gets this constant thought of "oh no there it goes again...whats it doing now....this is a different feeling....need a doc....need a hospital" out of your head! It's weird you said that about talking to someone I just today started looking for a psychiatrist. Sine being back on here and talking to people, readin,etc I thought maybe that would be a way to resolve things in me I dont understand. Im going to do it. Kiddo after reading your response it stressed me out so you have to be dealing with a lot of crap!. Everything changes every three months..everything so it will get better. I think being on here helps me a lot, just knowing i'm not alone.  ps I drink chamomile tea ev night, peppermint tea good also. Wish you the very best! Keep in touch
Hi everyone, I have been havin pvcs for so many years,but for the last five months, it was all day and every other beat and one day they went away. Since last monday I have them again I dont know what to do anymore I haf see 3 cardiologist and EP and they tell me the same. You wont die your heart wont stop you r not gonna get a stroke and im tired of hearing the same.  They gave me betablkers I have four kinds and im scare to take them,but last night I was so bad that I had to take one and after that I fas feeling them every other beat I was so scare and ready to go to the er, but if I go they will not do anything and send me home like always.  Dont know wthat to do anymore. Im tired and I have a lot of anxiety,because of the pvcs. Not because the anxiety and then the pvcs. Helppppppppppp
Saimon. So you took the beta blocker and it made it worse? did they give you any anti anxiety meds? Maybe you should try one.

They last few days.. I've been more relaxed, and decided to not let the pvc's scare me as much, and to ignore them, and seriously.. they have dropped by 70% at least. IT absolutely HAS to do with anxiety. ..

Because I was going crazy with stress over them.. now I just decided to say F .. it. and I'm going to die then thats it.. I can't change that. I already did all the tests.. I did all I can.. and so far.. the past 3 days have been beter. Now yes.. yesterday I still got PVC's all day. But not as hard feeling. and not as frequent. Instead of feeling like 100 in the day, I felt maybe 20 to 30... and this morning so far none... and this is with NO pills at all. I do have an anti anxiety on hand in case I need one.

I don't know.. I just know that my psychiatrist, the hospital, my regular doctor.. and my cardiologist.,,, and many many people with the same thing all say the same thing. Its panic disorder. Panic disorder presents symptoms such as skipped beats and pvc's. And I'm beginning to believe them.
I don't think there is another subject on the planet so beaten to death. We all do it.  I love how I feel so superior when mine aren't acting up, and then when they do, I turn into a vulnerable, pathetic excuse for a human....Okay, maybe not QUITE that bad, in front of people.  

Most of us got our anxiety AFTER the PVCs/PACs started, so now, yes, we have anxiety disorder.  Nice label.  Even that makes me feel stupid.  I am a nurse that takes care of people and alleviates cancer patient's fears (it used to be cardiac) every working day.  I do it well.  They have NO idea that sometimes I'd like to curl up into a fetal position, put my thumb in my mouth and shake...okay, maybe not that bad.

i have longed for the "normal" life.  What I have is a hidden one.  This is the ONLY place I am myself, sometimes the voice of reason, sometimes all gloom and doom.  But I'm still here after all these years.  

I'm def standing behind my mag and calcium regimen, though.  WORKS!  And all my electrolytes were always normal.  Maybe people with high anxiety, just need more?
I would like to let you know that you are not alone. I am an RN that works in the ED and also suffers from PVC's. I smile when I see pts come in for "skipped heart beats", they have one every now and again. As I am running around getting their EKG, starting an IV, getting labs etc - I secretly am having 12 to 20 a minute!.

I don't think it is anxiety related, I think it is related to my hormones. i'm not quit at the menopause stage yet - but getting there!

I had them two years ago so bad, that I actually had pitting edema and a horrible cough.

"I had them two years ago so bad, that I actually had pitting edema and a horrible cough. "

Come again?  PVCs alone gave you these symptoms?  This is not very likely, my friend.

Did you see a cardio for this?
RNrita, I agree that when they are not as bad, your attitude changes.. and when they are bad, we fall apart. BUT.. is it a coincidence that for a month now EVERYDAY all day, I've been a complete mess! and my heart has been going crazy with palpitations.. and the day my doctor gives me my results from my echo saying my heart is totally strong and normal and healthy.. and the psychiatrist(in the same day) tells me that its panic disorder ( and he is a world renound Forensic psychiatrist) and I'm totally fine.. that that VERY same day at that moment the pvc's suddenly lessoned by more than half? that cannot be a coincidence that my attitude and frame of mind had nothing to do with the change.

Also, yes.. my PANIC struck AFTER the pvc's got bad. But this does not change the fact that everyday for the past 10 years I've been a tightly wound, worry wart person, who gets emotionally upset easily, and has been someone with anxiety and stress all the time.. Maybe its our body's at times finally getting so screwed up from the stress and worry.. that it say's enough is enough and then the PVC's kick on?.. I truly think thats a lot to do with it.
Also, when we all say.. well it could be caused by lack of vitamins.. or stress, anxiety, dehydration, .. hormones ect ect ect.. well, our body is a machine. It is all of the above. Its all connected.

If we don't have enough vitamins, and the correct balance of hormones, or water, or too much sodium., or take in too much stimulants, or stress that messes up our SNS, or accesses our adrenal glands to overreact.. then yes.. the PVC's act up.

Aren't we all saying that EVERYONE gets PVC's.. but most don't feel them, or some get them less... well, I think we are the ones that feel them because we are the ones that have something wrong in our body's such as too much stress ( which can cause cancer for god sakes!) so of course it can cause PVC's..

These things I know for a fact.

I have no heart disease or abnormality. ( in fact the doctor say's my heart is of perfect size, all valves function perfectly, heart muscles are strong, all my blood work is totally normal. All EKG's are perfect, I am totally healthy.

I eat super healthy and take in absolutely NO caffiene or stimulants of any kind for over 15 years.

I don't smoke or drink

I've had a full health scan and theres nothing wrong with me.

Heres things I do that are not healthy..

I DRINK MAYBE 1 TO 2 CUPS OF WATER A DAY. ( NOT ENOUGH)

i DO NOT EXCERSIZE ENOUGH

i HAVE ANXIETY DISORDER , I WORRY, STRESS, AND ANALYZE EVERYTHING

i AM TERRIFIED OF DEATH

i HAVE GONE THROUGH RECENT TRAUMA ( PAST 3 YEARS)

I STARTED DRINKING SOLE ( SALT THERAPY ) BEFORE MY EPISODE SSTARTED WHICH INCREASED MY SODIUM BY 500MG A DAY

i WAS NOT TAKING ANY VITAMINS AT ALL

I believe that these factors contribute to my PVC's. I know everyones different, and nobody's right or wrong, as we are different body's . and every case is different.

But I do know, that I intend to live my life, however long that will be, and try not to waste it away crying all day like i've been. I will continue to pray that god will watch over me and everyone else here, and heal us, and give us the strength to get over this.  I have been praying everyday. And I feel, that he may have been listening to me this time. Because I am blessed that I didn't get a result worse than what I got. It could always be worse.
Let me add that hormones play a VERY big part in this.  I have noticed all my life that I would get worse right before my period.  I also have high anxiety right before it...Now I am in perimenopause (yes, still waiting the BIG ONE) and am taking bio identical HT.  I think this may help immensely, as well, and I also do NOT have the anxiety problems I used to have.  Maybe all my life was one big hormonal party in my body?????

TRRN:  That is hysterical!  I worked in cardiac critical care and people came in completely freaked out by their 50 PVCs a day!  I used to hook myself up to the telemetry and work....found quite a few runs of V-tach....shorter, albeit, but there, nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm doing well and in "superior" mode....NOT!
What do your pvcs feel like. I get what I think ate skipped beats all around my left side but I have never had an acg find any of them. Also my 24 hour holter was normal.. Still I get sharp chest especially right under left breast. It also takes my breath away, it makes it difficult to move breath eat. Does anyone get the same symptoms? People in this forum always mention that they suffer from pvc's but fail to describe where there pain is located.
For me I feel flutters are first like the signal has become unstable.  Then when I miss a beat I feel like my heart has fizzled out for a second.  Sometimes I will feel a strong beat afterwards.  If I get a bunch in a short amount of time I will feel chest pain.  If I get a bunch in a row very close together will will gag or need to cough.  I will sometimes feel a poking pain in the spot I figure is irritated but it is higher up than where you are having pains.  I do not, however, ever have any difficulty moving or breathing persay except for maybe a split second.  Have you been back to the doctor about the sharp pains?  Has your heart been giving a clean bill of health besides the pvcs?  
I have had all of the above "feelings" but have never had pain.  I have no idea what the pain would feel like or why it would occur although I think I remember others talking about a "nerve" type pain....
Mine are located in the dead center of my chest- (solar plexus) - And when they show up its like a punch in the chest. Not with really any pain, but just the force. Otherway of explaining it, is that it feels like a small balloon suddenly getting filled with air and then the air releases again.
In the same area I get acid reflux and burbs/gas making its way up. So often wondered if there was a connection there,.
Sharp pain is a sign of muscle, cartiledge or ligament problem. True heart related chest pain is never a stabbing pain and rarely, if at all, located on the left side of the chest. Hope that makes you feel better  
yeah ive heard its mostly getting numb in an arm or getting a pressure equal to an elephant sitting on your chest? Not to scare anyone who has numbness in their arm or pressure in their chest of course.

My left arm has allot of werid nerves that both give me pain and numbness at times.
And my chest can feel tight in some periods due to a bad posture while sitting in awkward positions. (not good at sitting in the traditional lower case H position.
What is the evolutionary purpose of anxiety??!!!  What a crappy emotion, it's painful, it's evil.  What's the purpose of it?

Well, anxiety is a great motivator.  Why do spiders make most people anxious?  The dang things are small and some of them are poisonous.  We evolved that fear because it kept us alive longer.

Anxiety is an emotion that gets us moving, it makes us take action, it's critical to survival.  

When we've got things on our mind that require action to deal with, it raises anxiety levels.   Inaction or failure to close an issue increases the background noise of anxiety.

I think the best way to deal with that is to take action on the things that are bothering you.  You listed them all out in your last post.  Divide them and conquer them.  Over time you will see your anxiety levels go down.  It takes work.  No one can fix those but yourself.

Take for example your fear of death.  That's not something you can do anything about so work on accepting that eventually we all die.  When you accept the fact, that thought won't make you anxious anymore.

Not drinking enough water is making you anxious,  drink more water.

Not exercising enough?  If that were me I would just accept that less exercise is actually better !!  :-)  I kid to some extent there, but I used to be an exercise nut, there's no need to overdue exercise.    I halved my exercise effort and looked the same.

Anyways, I hope that helps.  I've battled panic disorder and anxiety disorder since I was about 29.  I know it well.   Hard work has been my friend through my worst times, and over time I feel I've conquered it.  At one point I thought it would ruin my career.   Now, I love to fly and travel and give presentations, things that 10 years ago I couldn't think about without shaking.  no meds.  I did cognitive behavior therapy and lots of homework.
UPDATE:

I am now in the mindset that PVC's are not dangerous. Just scary. And that certain things can " irritate" the situation. And nobody's situation is the same. So we cannot offer eachother remedies.. but support eachother.

For the past month or so.. to be exact.. the very day I went to the psychiatrist.. and he told me.. I have anxiety.. and need to calm down. I felt relieved.  after that day. I HAVE NOT HAD ONE PVC. NOT A SINGLE BLIP, NOT ONE. I HAVE NO CLUE WHY., WHAT HAPPENED.. WHAT I DID OR DIDN'T DO, IF IT WILL COME BACK ( GOD FORBID, AND I PRAY IT WON'T) BUT LITERALLY ITS BEEN AT LEAST A MONTH NOW. NOT ONE. I AM BACK TO HIKING, WALKING.. DATING.. AND EVEN GETTING ON A PLANE NEXT MONTH. I FEEL VERY BLESSED.
That is just awesome news and a great way to start out the New Year.  Have an awesome next year!
Great to hear yenom11.  I like to think of my PVC's as a blessing.  They made me reassess my life - I changed my diet, started working on my relationship, took up yoga and meditation and am now interested in buddhism.  Anyway, the pvc's are still around and I'm having trouble sleeping because of them but my life is heading in a more positive direction.  
Hey, just noticed one of your replies about magnesium.  I am thinking it will be my hero too.  Ive gone from thousands of skipped beats a day to just a few and am convinced that it's due to the magnesium cause the rhythmol has done nothing...my cardio and I have now cut the rhythmol in half and will drop it completely if  I continue to do well for the next couple of months.  Good luck to both of us.  After 40 years, I am very ready !!!!!!
Hi ~

Can a vitiman or mineral deficiency attribute to PVC's. My "D" is at 22. And can Atenalol the skips and flutters....also is Atenalol used for anxiety as well? Thanks!
I suggest you send a private message to Rita, I think it very unlikely she will see you add on to this thread.  I could be wrong, but she has not yet responded.

You may also get input by making a new post with you subject in the subject line.  A search on your subject too may yield some helpful past threads.

Hope you find a way to get some relief.
I am a 56 yr. old female.  I have been blessed with great health; save for severe and many hot flashes daily and nightly for 13 yrs now.  The pvc/pac's started on or around July 4th this past year.  However, in retrospect, I wore a heart monitor a year before for two days because I felt what I thought were 'skipped' heart beats when I was working out.  On July 4th, I was in the hospital for about 4 hours, 6 weeks later another emergency visit and then November again.  In all three visits I was told these were pvc's/pac's and they were benign.  In the last visit I met with a specialist and then wore a holter.  Of course during this time I had one or two pvc's/ pac's.  I have had them almost none stop right now since Monday Morning and it is Saturday.  When I first visited the specialist this past November, they were not as frequent; and he did not see the need to put chemicals in my body at that time; since the structure of my heart is fine (we did a lot of testing).  But since that visit I have called his office 3 times almost going on Beta Blockers each time.  I just want to put things in my body unless I absolutely have to.....just because I know that medications always has side effects and can cause other problems....so I am not being a winer!  Anyway this is my three cents for whatever it is worth and I would be interested in finding out anyone's feedback who may identify with me.  I have what I call physiological anxiety; it's the way I am wired; I believe genetic but could have been worsened by some of the stress I felt growing up in my home.  Throughout my life I have had this type of anxiety and I have worked out for years just to keep it under control.  I have also been diagnosed as an adult with ADHD.  I was diagnosed in my earlier 40's and tried a few meds, but none of them ever felt right.....so I did not stay on them.  I guess what I am saying is that I think my genetics and my pre-existing condition with this neurology if you will, predisposed me to this sort of thing,.....I think the electrical wiring in my heart has gone amiss due to years and years of this sort of adrenaline push that occurs in my body.   I am not sure what I will do at this point.  It is hard to not think about the pvc's/pac's when they are coming almost non stop for days, but one thing I do know.  I am not dying.   I refuse to let any fear make this worse.  I am going to move up my 6 mth check up with the specialist from June to May and may or may not go on beta blockers...we'll see.  I hope someone out there identifies with me....thanks for listening and I am very grateful for a place to talk about this.
I think you are on the right track.

We inherit all kinds of things not just from our parents but also from other ancestors.  Our emotional and physical responses to stresses of all kinds are among them

You have a very down to earth attitude.
Thanks Achillea.....I appreciate and am happy to hear your feedback...
I, too, am an anxious type and a lot has to do with history is my life also.  I would not hesitate to go on the beta blockers -- at least give them a trial.  I was able to control my afib for 7 years on a beta blocker and low doses of Xanax.  BB's are pretty benign compared to the big guns of arrythmia meds.  I take Atenolol and you can break it into 1/2's if it is too much as far as lowering hr and bp.  I am considering going back to just the beta blockers and see if it will suffice after some side effects with  anti-arrythmics.  It may be magical thinking, but adjusting for stress with exercise, meditation, diet might work.  I am discussing with my ep Monday after a bad experience with Rythmol.  I, too, have had skipped beats since my 20's, but in 2003 it turned into afib.  I am 67, just retired and wanting to enjoy life more.  Good luck to you.
Hi ...I am sorry to hear that it turned to afib.  I know that I have been told that those having even benign arrythmias are at a greater risk of developing this.....not a definitive....just at greater risk.  I do think our genetic/ neurological wiring predisposes us to this sort of thing....thanks for sharing....it's good to know we all have one another!  Best of luck at the doctor's visit!
I hope you still read posts here since I am referring to the post from 2011.  You sound just like me. . .  Lol!  I am 67 years old, though.  
I am a writer, and I just wanted to say. . .  I think you should be one as well.  I enjoyed your post and how you wrote it.  I have to make an appointment today with an "EP" and hope he can come up with some answers. . .  To me, after all the testing, and echoing everything you stated. . . I do believe it is ANXIETY!
Good luck, good health
JJK

To:  allison82604  

I think Magnesium has a lot to do with PVC's   BUT. . . Why didn't your doctor figure this out?  My doctor says my Mag is good. . .  Now I am wondering.  I was glad to read that you are cured :-D
i am having issues as well....i am 54 woman. with thyroid  issues.... they say thyroid causes pvc as well... well thats under control and my pvc are worse... almost all day long now for months... all cardio tests are normal... now they say gas and anxiety.... if its anxiety, then why wont they give me anything... they gave me like 10 xanax and they worked great... wow, 10.... i have severe panic attacks and i need this med but they say no... i dont understand it..... im not an addict and no history of being one.... i just want help... i cant sleep at all cause of the pvc... im ready to go the hosp at any given time but they just send me home with nothing too... im scared and how can i get these pvc under control to live a normal life... please help