Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Is it something to worry about?

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Is it something to worry about?

I have always had chest pain over the course of my life and sometimes shortness of breath. However, it was the first time I ever had such a hard heart beat that caused pain and shortness of breath. I had awaken from sleep for no apparent reason and at first I could feel my heart beat against my chest and then I felt my heart beat faster and faster and it started to thud against my chest painfully. The episode didnt last longer than half a minute at most and I was able to fall back asleep.  After I awoke I felt fatigued but still went through with my gym exercises.  Is this something I should worry about or is this something that happens normally to some? I looked it up and only found information about palpitations and how they were from strenous exercises, emotions, or anxiety attacks. I didnt really fit into any of those categories as during cardio exercise my heart beats rapidly but not painfully and I dont have trouble breathing; I dont have anxiety and I wasnt scared or frightening after I woke up from sleeping.  Any advise would be helpful.
Probably not a problem but it is worth talking to your doctor.  They just need some background history, an EKG and maybe a echocardiogram and stress test depending on the history and physical.  It is sometimes hard to figure out exactly what happened, but sometimes no answer is better than an answer.

I hope this helps.
1 Comment
A related discussion, concerns from atenalol was started.