Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Is there a danger?

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Is there a danger?
I have read several comments on this, but nothing is really from the medical field...for the last couple of months, my heart flutters when I lay on my left side...it even wakes me if I am asleep and I have to turn over to make it stop.  What is causing this and is there a danger?  Someone posted that they were told that stress and adrenaline had some effect...which made sense to me because I have been extremely stressed with a high adrenaline level for that same time frame.  What can I do to stop this, it is very scary.

Thank you.
When you lay on your left side your heart is close to your chest wall and easy to feel even normal beats.  People will notice this more when you are under stress, caffeinated, sleep deprived.  It is worth talking to your doctor about, but in general it is not dangerous.  A beta blocker may help decrease it, as it would sleeping on your right side or back.

I hope this helps.