Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
J-Point on EKG

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

J-Point on EKG

Just had my cardio eval done yesterday. 48 yr old male history of benign pvc's, controlled hypertension & on statin for hyperlidimia. Dad died of MI at 56....autopsy reveiled CAD. I'm non smoker with bmi of 24.9, bp 118/78 etc etc.. On beta blocker for HTN and PVC'S......Have had previous thallium stress, echo's and routine annual GP visits with all good results.....

My question is yesterdays EKG report....Normal s1, phsiologically split s2 w/1/16th ejection murmur radiating from apex to base. PR interval of 0.16, QRS 0.08, QT of Blank, and axis of 32 degrees. Evidence of J-point elavation in 2,3 and aVF however when compared with previous ekg there has been no change. (1 yr ago).......I'm a little concerned about the "j-point" elavation because i hear its linkes to SCD....Any help with this ?  My cardio doc says i'm fine...

Thank you for your question.

The results of your ECG was interpreted as normal except for J point elevation, which some will also call early repolarization. It is typically found as a benign condition and is very common.

The J point, or junction, marks the onset of the ST-T wave on an electrocardiogram. It is used as a reference point to mark the level of the ST segment, in circumstances like exercise testing, at 40 or 80 msec after the J point. The J point is normally at or near the isoelectric baseline of the ECG.

The ST segment can be significantly elevated in normal persons, especially in the sided or inferior, similar to the leads your J point is elevated in (II, III, aVF).

Of importance to you though, it is very common. It occurs in 2% to 5% of population. It is most common in young adults and African American men. It is also common in those that are athletically active.

Recent research data has suggested an unexpected association with sudden cardiac arrest with ventricular fibrillation and ventricular arrhythmias. However, it is still unclear what the implications of this association are. Association does not always mean causation. More research needs to be done on this topic to tease out who in particular is at risk and what treatment or risk stratification should be offered to them.

-Dr. S