Junctional Rhythm
Hi everyone-
I am a 29 year old female. I have a had three ablations due to arrhythmias due to lupus. My latest one was for atrial tach and SVT. It was done in February of this year. I am now in a junctional rhythm most of the time. This was just discovered as I was in for a device check as I have a pacemaker. My doctor was not in so I was unable to talk to him about it. Is this the new normal? Is it anything I should be concerned about? Thank you!
Junctional rhythm means that your avnode (or the spot just between the atria and ventricles) has taken over the beating of your heart.  This is usually due to blockage of the avnode getting a signal from the sa node.  It sounds like this was possibly done on purpose for you due to your lupus and scarring causing excess beats from the atria or blockage of some sort.  That said, I am not sure how it happens or if it should happen in someone with a pacemaker.  I guess my concern would be that the heart is not getting a proper signal from the pacemaker but you should really talk to your doctor because I don't really know a whole lot about how pacemakers works. In any event, your heart has gone into junctional rhythm as a safety precaution.  I know this can happen sometimes after ablations due to some swelling and irritation of the heart that should hopefully go away with time but again, you do need to discuss this with your doctor to find out your next steps.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.