Heart Rhythm Community
Lightheaded/dizziness during exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Lightheaded/dizziness during exercise

My Problem is around lightheadednes/dizziness during exercise.

I'm a 24 year old male, slim and reasonably healthy, I've had heart palpatations since I was about 16 years old, I'm pretty sure these are 'caused by food, stress and anxiety, I have been to the doctors about these, had two ecgs and a blood test but nothing has been found to be the 'cause. Ive pretty much got used to these over the years and can live comfortably without issue most of the time.

The problem that I am struggling with is lightheadedness/dizziness during exercise, after more intensive excercise (jogging/running) I often become quite lightheaded and dizzy, my heart rate obviously does increase and so do the palpatations during excercise, they do seem to worry me and the lack of answers from my doctor does not affirm things for me! Anybody else had any similar experiences to mine? Or have any suggestions? Second opinion from another doctor perhaps, maybe I'm just worryingly unnessecarly! Any advice/experiences shared would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Hey I can totally relate to you I don't know what is but I do experience palps during exercise and its so frustrating and scary.. At times the palp is so hard I don't know if its cause my heart rate is up but its so hard to carry on exercising cause I'm scared of getting another palp. I've experienced palp for years too I'm 24 female I've done ECGs and an echocardiogram and all is normal..I used to get lightheaded whilst training but its not bad that it worries me.. My only concern is the palp during exercise!!!
After years of garden variety PVCs, I recently developed bigeminy during exercise.  These were seen on a 24-hour Holter monitor, and the beats consisted of a PVC, which doesn't produce much in the way of a pulse you can feel, followed by a longer 'compensatory pause,' which allows the ventricle to fill a bit more than usual and delivers a heck of a kick when it contracts.

The net result, though, is that I was getting a big contraction every other beat, effectively cutting my pulse rate in half, and it wasn't delivering enough blood to support a high level of exercise, so I was getting lightheaded.

My cardiologist reviewed the findings, pronounced what I was experiencing as essentially benign, and said I was just going have to adjust my exercise level downward if I started feeling a little faint.  He saw no reason for me to reduce exercise intensity overall, though.

However, PVCs that increase during exercise are considered a good reason to get yourself to a cardiologist for a stress test, and I'd suggest you do that so you and a doc can discuss your symptoms.  You're young and probably nothing significant will be found, but if you write down your questions before your appointment, your questions will be answered, and I am sure you will feel more informed and reassured.
I would like to mimic some of the other comments made above.

Palpations, dizziness and lightheadedness during exercise are not normal and warrant testing to find out the cause.  A stress test would be appropriate for you.  Also, have you ever worn a holter monitor or event monitor?  Have your palpations ever been identified?  If not, then that needs to be done.  I would discuss these tests with your doctor and find out if you can be referred to a cardiologist.  If your current doctor does not take this seriously then I would seek a second opinion.
Yeah its really unnerving, don't think it's ever something I'll get used too! Nice to hear of someone else the same age having similar problems though
Okay, thanks for your advice, I think I'll visit my go again, go over old ground and ask for this stress test!
Hi, I have never had a holter monitor or an event monitor no, the palpatations have never been identified, I've had an ECG but I don't think I even had one palpatations during that shortt time, I will perhaps seek a second opinion, I do not feel he is taking me seriously to be honest! Thanks for your advice
There are many types of palpitations and arrhythmias - many of these are benign but there are forms that require treatment.  The great thing about an event monitor is you wear it for a certain period of time (30 days is typical) and  you to push a button when you feel the palpitations and the cardiologist can determine what they are.  Most people don't  have palpitations during the short period of time in which an EKG is measured and without knowing what the palps. are it would be difficult to know if your condition is benign or not.

I have palpitations and told a dr about them about 7 years ago.  The only "test" she did was to feel my pulse and "diagnosed" me based on that!  I recently saw a new doctor earlier this year who put me on an event monitor that day.  The palps. I feel are caused by a heart block which is significantly different from what I was told by my previous doctor.  My form of heart block is benign but it can progress into a more serious form and I have been given signs to look out for.   Without this proper diagnosis I wouldn't be armed with this  information.  Long story short, it is important to find a doctor who you trust and takes you seriously.  In my opinion (and I'm not a  dr) I believe you need some tests (holter monitor, bare minimum) to find out what is going on.  If your current doctor doesn't work with you on this, it's time to get a second opinion.

palpations???? holter monitor????